EFAS

Louie1975

Does anyone ever use this service from Flight Service? How would you do this if you were getting flight following from a controller? I would hate to be 'off frequency' in busy airspace. I fly out of a class C airport and never felt comfortable asking departure for a 'temporary frequency change' so I could open my flight plan.
I have never used EFAS this(I am currently a VFR pilot) but then again I have never been on a really long cross country. Thanks!

Louie

I've used it a few times to give PIREPS, and get wx info. on long flights when the wx is really hairy. I don't always request a freq. change when its slow, I just monitor both freqs and transmit on 122.0. If I do request a freq. change, I'll still do the same thing, just in case ATC needs to tell me something urgent. As long as you're going to be in his airspace for a few minutes, most controllers don't have a problem giving a temp. freq. change...though usually I find that they tell you to report back in 5 min. Remember when using Flight Watch, you don't address them with the nearest FSS name...you use the ARTCC that you're in instead. Read 7-1-5 in the AIM for more info.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone ever use this service from Flight Service?

[/ QUOTE ] On every single cross country trip I make outside the local area.

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]
How would you do this if you were getting flight following from a controller?

[/ QUOTE ] "Podunk Approach. Skyhawk 25X would like to go off frequency to call Flight Watch"

Go here to learn more about using Flight Watch and making reports.

http://www.aopa.org/asf/skyspotter/ (AOPA membership is =not= required)

Hi Guys:
Thanks for the reply. I do not know where Podunk is, but up here in Long Island and certain surrounding airspace I would be afraid to be 'off frequency' for more than 30 seconds, let alone 5 minutes. I heard on EFAS they talk a lot. Anyway, I do like the idea of letting the controller know that you will be monitoring his frequency in case of an urgent matter. Anyway, I asked this question more to enhance my aeronautical understanding and future flight instructor use, but right now I only fly when its a 'real nice day.'

Louie

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply. I do not know where Podunk is, but up here in Long Island and certain surrounding airspace I would be afraid to be 'off frequency' for more than 30 seconds, let alone 5 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]It's less of an issue than you think. Remember that ATC has a bigger traffic picture than you do. If you are in Class C or even B airspace and you ask to go off, the controller will only say okay if it's not going to cause a problem. They might ask you to wait for a few minutes or ask you to come back within a certain time frame.

Back