EatSleepFly and other CFIIs, question for ya

E_Dawg

ESF I read something about your flight around that massive Tstorm to FL700 and I started wondering...

When flying solo in IMC do you guys sit right or left seat?

Left would probably be better as far as position of instruments, etc., but do you guys just get so used to reading the instruments right seat during dual sessions that you just feel more at home there?

[ QUOTE ]
ESF I read something about your flight around that massive Tstorm to FL700 and I started wondering...

When flying solo in IMC do you guys sit right or left seat?

Left would probably be better as far as position of instruments, etc., but do you guys just get so used to reading the instruments right seat during dual sessions that you just feel more at home there?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the right seat in GAs due to throttles being in the left hand, which I'm used to now.

Solo flights I fly left seat, if I am taking non-pilot friends/family members for a ride I sit right...

Lately I've been flying solo from the right seat. I wouldn't have a problem from the left seat, I'm just more comfortable in the right seat. I've flown solo in IMC a few times from the right seat and had no problems. You view the instruments from a different angle, but you get use to that after giving some instrument instruction. Hardest for me to get use to were the DG and attitude indicator.

Just depends on what I feel like that day. It gets to the point where you're used to both so you can switch it up when bored.

Or you can do the 'huge guy flying the 152' routine: left foot, pilot's left rudder; right foot, pax's right rudder, one hand on a yoke, other hand on the throttle. Lean back to climb, lean forward to descend. Sit to either side to turn. Seatbelts required for regs
grin.gif

If I'm flying, I fly left seat...just cause I don't get to do it very much, and it makes me feel like a real pilot!
wink.gif
grin.gif

When I do scenic flights and stuff, I still fly left seat, unless its a hot chick, or someone cool...then I let them sit in the left seat.
cool.gif

I almost always fly right seat if I'm solo, just feel more comfortable there. The expection is if it's a seminole, switches are just too much of a pain from the right and on the new ones a couple of gages are hidden by the left yoke.

I feel more comfortable in the right seat but lately I've been making a point of sitting in the left seat when I can....You know, just in case Delta needs me to fly left seat on the 777....

What's funny is we spend tons of money to train in the left seat so that someday we can land that job in the right seat!
tongue.gif

Smokey....................................................................................................................................................................................................

Actually, I was thinking about this, and we mostly fly Pipers, so it's easier to sit left because of the fuel selector. When I fly the Cessna, I don't care, though.

Back