Earth from Space

davetheflyer

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0011/earthlights_dmsp_big.jpg

I got the above link in my email with the following comments. It really is a neat picture.

Directions: Check the link below...This is really a sight to behold. The image is a panoramic view of the world from the new space station. It is a night photo with the lights clearly indicating the populated areas. You can scroll East-West and North-South. Note that Canada's population is almost exclusively along the U.S. border. Moving east to Europe, there is a high population concentration along the Mediterranean Coast. It's easy to spot London, Paris,Stockholm and Vienna. Check out the development of Israel compared to the rest of the Arab countries. Note the Nile River and the rest of the "Dark Continent". After the Nile, the lights don't come on again until Johannesburg. Look at the Australian Outback and the Trans-Siberian Rail Route. Moving east, the most striking observation is the difference between North and South Korea. Note the density of Japan. What a piece of photography. It is an absolutely awesome picture of the Earth taken from the Boeing built Space Station last November on a perfect night with no obscuring atmospheric Conditions.

Excellent picture, Dave.

I don't want to wax poetic, but that photo shows the beauty and grandeur of terra firma like few have seen.

If only that could be the view from an aircraft that we could pilot........("If you look to your left, you'll see......Earth")
ooo.gif

Anybody else notice that it's night everywhere? what happend to the sun? cool pic! It just happens to stretch perfectly across my dual monitors.

Thanks Dave

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody else notice that it's night everywhere? what happend to the sun?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing as the idea was to show ground lights and thus, population concentrations, I'm sure the night pics were digitally "cropped" togther.
confused.gif

Fantastic pic!
Thats me in that clump of lights on the south western coast of Australia! One of the most isolated major cities in the world!
cool.gif

E-L-E-C-T-R-I-C-I-T-Y ???
What is that, Ed?
Whatever it is, I'm sure we don't need it in Canada....all we need is beer, hockey, and Tim Hortons.

[ QUOTE ]
all we need is beer, hockey, and Tim Hortons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just watched a movie called Men With Brooms and according to that you also need Curling.
wink.gif

I feel bad for that lone guy north of all the other lights.

Wow, its amazing how much humans have changed this planet. Just.........wow.

If I had money I'd buy a 3' x 5' print of that to put up on my wall. It would be really sweet as a tint canvas over light. (Like how they look at x-rays)

[ QUOTE ]
I just watched a movie called Men With Brooms and according to that you also need Curling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent movie
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody else notice that it's night everywhere? what happend to the sun? cool pic! It just happens to stretch perfectly across my dual monitors.

Thanks Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I noticed that too, but it could be either they cropped it, or if you look at it there are fewer lights on the west coast compared to the east coast (U.S.) and west coast of Europe which would meen it was night time in Europe and the east coast of the U.S. and maybe evening on the west coast??? Just a thought.

Back