Ear Infection and Tinnitus

Pilotforhire587

Lycra Man
Hey Doc,

About two weeks ago at work I got an ear infection while on a trip and went to see a Doctor in EWR, also an AME. This was the first ear infection I have had since high school that has caused pain. He prescribed a Z pack of azithromicin and told me to take sudafed to help relieve the pressure and sent me on my way. The sudafed allowed me to be able to clear my ears but when I got home 4 days later I still could not hear well in my left ear. I went to a walk in clinic and the nurse practitioner said that both of my ears were still infected and prescribed me Cefdinir. Since taking the new antibiotic I have been able to clear my ears, though I can hear a squeaking/clicking noise when I do that I did not experience before the infection, but I still feel a slight loss in hearing in the left ear, almost like there is still fluid in my ear, and I have developed tinnitus.
Is this normal after a bad ear infection? If so how long does it usually take to clear up.

I flew with a ear infection, and it lead to a baro-trauma, and ear tubes. It also included the start of my tinnitus, and now 7 years later, my ears are still ringing. I wish you good luck in having it dissipate, for me however it has lead to acclimation as the only remedy. I am told I will take it to my grave. Some days are worse than others, but it is always there.

I hate to bump threads, but I have a related question. I have had a few of the problems the original poster had. My doc gave me some antibiotics thst cleared the infection, but there was still pressure and a bit of ringing occasionally (no pain). he told me to take Sudafed to clear it up.

1) Can I potentially fail a drug test on Sudafed?

2) Can I remain on flight duty while taking Sudafed?

!) In theory but not in practicality. The dose is too small.
2) Yes you can as long as it relieves your symptoms sufficiently to not have ear or sinus pain on descent.

Back