Dvorine Test

RS1

I don't see any Dvorine test plate samples posted anywhere on the internet... I know monitors / lighting conditions will make it vary, but it still usually is a good indicator from my experience, whether or not you can pass it. Can someone maybe make a high quality scan of some of the Dvorine plates and post them or something? Worth a shot...

Thanks... I have heard that it is less sensitive to anomalous trichromats such as myself however... And for what it's worth, I can see a number on all 3 of the plates in that picture. (Not sure if they intended it to be that way for advertising or whatever tho.) I know the one on the far left looks like a sample plate... And the other 2 look like they could be part of the actual test... Thanks for posting.

Yeah, done that search myself several times but to no avail. I would be quite interested in that test if someone has it. My understanding is that, for the FAA ATC medical, that's the approved test. As opposed to the 9 or so that the pilot medical allows (I passed the Farsnworth but have an absolute heck of a time with the Ishihara - can see some but the plates that are more red/yellow/orange are really tough for me.)

I actually passed the Titmus test as well... The ishihara plates I have the same issue with... I'd be willing to bet that I can pass the 24 (or whatever the high number) plate version tho, because they allow you to get approx 1/2 of them wrong and consider that or better as a passing score... I mostly see the 9 or so plate verson tho, and not the longer test...

The titmus, I got 6 out of 8 right on the page that has the E's where you need to determine the direction that those E's are pointing. (He said even people with no color problems can't see those 2 plates most of the time either tho) The page with the number plates I couldn't pass tho. Not sure which one is the required one, because the FAA doesn't specify, but the AME said I would have passed. The thing that worries me is that the FAA says that it requires you to be able to get all plates with "No errors in the 6 plates" The page with the E's has 8 plates, so I'm not sure. I mean I could always take the long drive and use him as my AME, but what if he retires one day? Know what I mean?

Here's what the FAA says about the Titmus:
An applicant does not meet the color vision standard if testing reveals:
Any errors in the six plates of the Titmus Vision Tester, Titmus II Vision Tester, Titmus 2 Vision Tester, Titmus i400, OPTEC 2000 Vision Tester, OPTEC 900 Vision Tester, Keystone Orthoscope, or Keystone Telebinocular.

Now of course the Titmus they showed me 2 pages, and the one I remember passing has 8 plates, not 6...

Here's what they say about the Ishihara:
An applicant does not meet the color vision standard if testing reveals:
Six or more errors on plates 1-11 of the concise 14-plate edition of the Ishihara pseudoisochromatic plates. Seven or more errors on plates 1-15 of the 24-plate edition of Ishihara pseudoisochromatic plates. Nine or more errors on plates 1-21 of the 38-plate edition of Ishihara pseudoisochromatic plates.

I'm about borderline on the Ishihara. I really wish I only had to take the test once like in the days of old to get my LOE. The FAA screwed me on that one. Because I did take it before the change date... They sent me a letter saying that the FALANT was not accepted. (By "Mistake".) Then after arguing with them, they say OHH you are right, then they conveniently send me my corrected medical cert with a letter stating that they don't issue LOE's anymore unless you jump thru their hoops with the MFT/OCVT. Yet they still will accept old LOE's. Yea, this is about safety alright... Anyways, they basically jerked me off, because they knew the policy was changing...

They basically jerked me off, because they knew the policy was changing, so they held me up in the system by sending me an erroneous letter...

And all of this has nothing to do with safety, it's all politics.

i passed the keystone telebinocular test. but like you guys i had the same problems. i had my documents in to the FAA on june 1, 2008. then after july 28 got a letter. i heard if you got your documents in before july 28th you can appeal and get a LOE. is this true ? if it is, im sure its a waiting game and probably if exact documentation was not sent in then you are back to the same boat we are in now. heres a website if anyone is in california or willing to travel to the university of berkley, california. i believe, for $175 you get to take almost all the FAA approved tests.

http://www.caleyecare.org/visionfunctions.html

i passed the keystone telebinocular test. but like you guys i had the same problems. i had my documents in to the FAA on june 1, 2008. then after july 28 got a letter. i heard if you got your documents in before july 28th you can appeal and get a LOE. is this true ? if it is, im sure its a waiting game and probably if exact documentation was not sent in then you are back to the same boat we are in now. heres a website if anyone is in california or willing to travel to the university of berkley, california. i believe, for $175 you get to take almost all the FAA approved tests.

http://www.caleyecare.org/visionfunctions.html

How do you appeal it? I don't wanna have to blow money on a lawyer and all that.

Thanks for the info and link BTW!

im not exactly sure how to appeal it, Dr. Forred is it true we can appeal it ? i was told by a fellow pilot it is possible, i dont think a lawyer would be necessary unless you are 100% correct with all the correct documentation before july 28 and FAA still denies you. im sure there is some legal loop hole for or something but i am not an aspiring lawyer just an aspiring pilot :)

You will not win by a simple appeal. This has been tried. The FAA made a policy decision to no longer issue a LOE effective 24 JULY 2008. It is the prerogative of the Federal Air Surgeon to do so.

The only way is to file a suit (many $$$$$$$$$$$$$$) and still probably not win.

It is difficult (but not impossible) to win a fight with a 1000 pound gorilla.

Flew out to Reading Regional this evening (KRDG). Beautiful night it was... anyways I had the tower point the signal light gun down to me, and I had absolutely no problem telling the red from green from white... Even thru the tinted tower glass. Nice of them to let me see it. I was pretty far away too. I'm much less worried about it now, because even my instructor quizzed me on the amber runway lights, the red end of runway lights, the blue taxiway lights... no problems. The only problems I have are those tests. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't make a very good interior designer, but when it comes to these lights and things, I have no issue at all. Feel much better about it now. All Deutranmoulous people should unite! ;)

never seen this one before so for fun check it out, for you color deficient people check this online test out:

http://www.egopont.com/colorvision_test.php?PHPSESSID=8fc5b70c7135f0de1c37f44fae160488

i got a 9 out of 10

and this website the number 3 test is fun and interesting:

http://www.colblindor.com/2007/10/07/5-online-color-blindness-tests/

Did the hearing test too, I can barely hear 20,000 hz, but it's there.. 19000 just KILLS my ears. I can hear everything lower too...

a question for the doc..........i was told that the farnsworth d-15, i believe thats the name, ( you put different shaded caps in order), test approved by the FAA but not on the approved list, can i get some clarity on this information ? thanks again

I'm sure the Doc will confirm but I'm fairly confident that the D15 is NOT approved. However, the Farnsworth Lantern is - and I might add that it is definately harder than that D15.

They are the only company that sells the Dvorine plate test. We use the test in our office and find some people can pass it when they can't pass others.

The real standard is the Farnsworth lantern test because it is the easiest to pass.

Back