drug tests for 3rd class medical?

Dave_Hall

Please, don't lecture me on this; and no, I'd never mix anything with flying, It'd be more like 24 hours toke to yoke, if not more. I'm just asking for a straight up answer.

No, the AME will not do a drug test for a medical exam. Yes, they will take a urine test, but it is for diabetes.

However, any FAA administrator can give you a random drug test at any time you happen to cross paths, and if you test positive you lose your certificate.

I know you said not to lecture you but if you are too immature to quit, you are too immature to fly. End of story.

24 hours toke to yoke??? ya that will go over real well if you ever do get tested. This has to be the dumbest question I have ever heard of. If you even have to ask this should you really be at the controls of any airplane? I sure as hell hope not.

[ QUOTE ]
However, any FAA administrator can give you a random drug test at any time you happen to cross paths, and if you test positive you lose your certificate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt the above is true. Show me the reg where they can do this to a private pilot.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt the above is true. Show me the reg where they can do this to a private pilot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must not have looked very hard, but here ya go: 91.17 paragraph (d)

The question really is, show me a reg that says they can't. Is there a reg that says they can ramp check you? Does it ever happen?

You are right that it is highly unlikely that they would just give you a drug test for no reason, just when you happen to be crossing paths, but if they have any reason at all to belive you might be on drugs, they can and will test you. I've crossed paths with the FAA many times and have never been tested, but I've never given them a reason to.

You might also take a look at 61.15, which in a nutshell states that if you are conviceted of crimes involving drugs, even if the conviction had nothing to do with with flying, your certificate is suspended.

Putting regs aside, what it really comes down to is you have to set your priorites straight. It is a choice. You can fly, or you can use drugs in your spare time. Using drugs while you happen to not be flying is not an option. If it is more important for you to continue using drugs than it is to fly, then your decision is made. If you really want to fly, then you'll decide to give up the drugs.

look, in no way a stoner. i've done it a few times, just tried it. i know mixing flying and any kind of drug/alcohol is completely stupid. Believe me, I wouldn't do anything that I could have my ticket yanked for. I haven't done it in 6 months, and I may be around it soon, and I'm going for my medical soon, and there's no way I'm gonna even think about it I could lose it. Thanks for the strait up answers.

That's a good attitude. Again, you won't shouldn't be drug tested by the AME for a medical, but if you haven't done it in 6 months there shouln't be anything to worry about anyway. I think the stuff only stays in your system 45 days or something like that.

The urine test can get up to 30 days in the past. But rest assured there are other ways to find out if you've smoked up. Blood tests are good for 12 days, and the one that look back really far is your hair. With the blood and the urine there is nothing you can do to get the stuff out of your system any faster, the THC is stored in your fat cells and you can't get rid of it.

That being said, a urine test SHOULDN'T pick up any THC in your system if you've just been around it second hand, but that's a really big shouldn't. I've got some friends that are pretty big pot heads, and they WELL know that they're not going to do that stuff around me because it's not worth even the CHANCE that I'll get a random drug screaning. My friends respect that, and take it away from me if they're going to go smoke up. I recommend you do the same, and get the crap away from it if you ever come in contact with someone smoking weed. Even though the test should not find anything in your blood stream, I'm not personally willing to potentially risk my career on this one.

BTW The random drug tests could come from my employer, not the FAA.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

Back