drug testing

sxauer

I have a question about drug testing. Its been a while since i've visited the forums, since i've stopped flying...anyway...my question is this: I'm not flying anymore, but plan to return to flying when the economy picks up. My doctor wants to start me on some medication (anti-anxiety or somthing allong those lines), but the FAA probably wont like it. Since I plan to return to flying i dont want to do anything to mess up my medical. I'm starting a new job (fire dept) and have to take a drug test. My question is if i'm not flying, and the doc starts me on these pills, will it show up anywhere on my record if they show up in the drug test, even if I bring the script (or whatever you have to bring)...Also, i'd like to not have the fire dept find out i'm on them either, so I guess what i'm really asking is if you take a drug test, and somthing shows up, but you have a doctors note for it, can the doc that is testing you report it to your employer (who is paying for the test). Also does it go on your record anywhere?

I know thats a lot of questions and I kinda rambled...but I really dont want to let the doc talk me into anything that would hurt my future airline career. (the doc is not an AME)

Anyway, thanks for any help you guys can give me...

stay safe, happy landings, and dont let the man get you down....

-shaun

Xtasy is bad for you. I don't care what doctor prescribed it for you.1.
Smokey.....................................................................................

Your best bet is to give AOPA a call and ask their experts. It's anonymous, and they'll tell you on the spot whether what your prescribed will be frowned upon by the folks in Okie City.

Paul

You know, Smokey, you bring up an interesting point. Marijuana is automatically disqualifying for a medical, right?

Well, what if your doctor prescribes it?

Most of the things marijuana is prescribed for would probably be disqualifying anyway so I think it's a moot point.
wink.gif

Even if you have a doctor's note for an anti-anxiety medication, it's still disqualifying in the eyes of the FAA.

Antidepressants and psychoactive medications: The FAA will not approve any of the medications in this category--including serotonin uptake inhibitors (Celexa, Effexor,Prozac, Paxil, and Zoloft) as well as other psychoactive medications (Lithium, Buspar, Elavil, Sinequan, Amitripityline, etc.). Pilots who undergo treatment with these medications can be cleared to return to flight duty after they have stopped taking the medication and the treatment issues have been resolved. See Depression in the VFS Medical Information Center. These medications are sometimes used for non-psychiatric conditions, but are still not approved for use in flight in this context.

The FAA generally requires the pilot to wait 60-90 days after completing treatment with the medication. You must submit records of your treatment to the FAA for the agency's approval. Formal psychological testing is often required. VFS can assist with this process.

However if both you and your doctor agree that you truly need medication, you might be doing yourself a lot of damage by getting off the treatment.

If your doctor is pushing this stuff, I'd definitely get a second opinion because it seems as if the medical profession is handing out antidepressant perscriptions like free samples at the grocery store.

Plus, it's pretty rare that doctors would prescribe pot.

I heard recently that there are only 5 people in the United States that have a "legal" prescription for marijuana... so, the likelihood of your doc prescribing same is slim to none.

"Drugs are bad, mmmmmmkaaaay?"
laugh.gif

In states where pot is legal for medicinal purposes, those with prescriptions are permitted to posess it and grow it. Nobody can sell it. Even if you have a prescription you can't just go to the pharmacy and get some marijuana. So, if a marijuana plant magically appears in your herb garden, I suppose you are okay, but otherwise a law has to be broken in order to get the stuff.

Back