drug related response when i was 18...

juan valdez

8 years ago when i first got a thrid class med cert, i answered yes to the drug question. i had smoked marijuana. i got a waiver from FAA for this and was allowdd my student cert and later my ppl. will this show up forever on my record? i am now 26.

You must report it as "previously reported, no change". DO NOT ignore it on the form 8500-8 and do not lie about it.

Never touched drugs in my life, but as an outsider, it seems like - if you've smoked marijuana once - it'd be very much to your benefit to simply answer "no" to the drug question.

Not condoning lying, but it seems like a LOT of trouble that can be easily avoided.

So if you are legal to have medical marijuana what happens if you called in for a random 135/121 drug test???

And what are the conditions for smoking medical marijuana and flying a plane and flying a plane for hire???

Are some of our airline pilots lighting up and then just waiting a day or two to go fly???

Medical marijuana is DQ because of the effects of the drug. The analogy is similar to narcotics, antihistamines, etc.

Never touched drugs in my life, but as an outsider, it seems like - if you've smoked marijuana once - it'd be very much to your benefit to simply answer "no" to the drug question.

Not condoning lying, but it seems like a LOT of trouble that can be easily avoided.

I disagree. Although I'm currently seeking my 1st Class medical under a special issuance and will be issued either my 1st or 2nd class medical next month. It's been a journey. Also, it's much better to deal with it now than later because if the FAA finds out later that he or anyone did lie on their initial app, you can kiss your flying career goodbye.....for good!!!

I started the quest for my medical back in Sept '07. Talk about one helluva 4th Step.:)

atp

8 years ago when i first got a thrid class med cert, i answered yes to the drug question. i had smoked marijuana. i got a waiver from FAA for this and was allowdd my student cert and later my ppl. will this show up forever on my record? i am now 26.

Why in the heck would you report it?

I'm not saying it's appropriate to plot and scheme, but no sense in making things more difficult than needed.

:yeahthat: I don't get it...Unless you were still smoking at the time you applied for a medical...But if you stopped then applied for a medical...I don't see why you'd report it, when it's a non-issue at that point....I guess the best way to avoid the situation is to not put yourself in it :banghead:

yeah guys i know i made a mistake reporting it. but i mean i was like 17 maybe 18 at the time and without getting too much intomy past i thought theywould test teh urine sample for drugs and if they had well it owuldnt have been good.

i also didnt really think it would be a huge deal until the doc was like "well i have to submit this and get a waiver...." or some such business.

if i knew it wasnt getting tested, or had known the seriousness i would hvae either not reported it or prepared better before the test.

regardless its there, unless someone has a time machine tehy want to loan me for a day or so....:bandit:

so again, it will always be on my record or wont it?

will it be a huge roadblock for a career in aviation?

yeah i know there probably isnt a cut and dry answer but any opinions from first hand or even of knowing someone with a similar situation wouldbe great

I have a perscription for methocarbamol, which is a low dose muscle relaxer. it is only for at night when i go to sleep. i get muscle spasms in my back. is this drug dq? will i fail a piss test on these meds? what type of drug is this, ie opiate?

I have a perscription for methocarbamol, which is a low dose muscle relaxer. it is only for at night when i go to sleep. i get muscle spasms in my back. is this drug dq? will i fail a piss test on these meds? what type of drug is this, ie opiate?

It is DQ because of the side effects of the drug - drowsiness and sedation. It is a muscle relaxer/sedative.

will the methocarbamol show up on a urinalisys? i only take them to sleep. and i am an air traffic controller.

Back