Driving History

pilot2b

Hi everybody, I am a prospective Delta Connection Academy student who has some questions about how my driving history will effect my employablility with an airline, and as a flight instructor with the academy. I'm not sure how far back they check on your driving history so I'll just write all of mine out so you all can give me some good feedback. Here it is: Two speeding tickets when I was 17(8 yrs ago), 3 month suspension of liscense for underage possession of alcohol when I was 18(7 yrs ago), had nothing to do with driving, just a Pennsylvania law that requires a suspension of your liscense, and just two days ago my first car accident, which was my fault. I didn't get ticketed, but I think they may send one to me in the mail for a failure to yield. I hope a current student could help me out, or possibly ask someone who knows, because I don't want to spend 60k for flight school and then not be able to get a job as a flight instructor, and then not be hireable with the majors. Thank You!!

I don't think it will effect you at all. Believe me there are lots of pilots out there that have gotten a speeding tickets or been involved in an accident. No Biggie! As long as you don't have a bad flying record with the FAA, you should be fine. You're not driving a car, you're flying an airplane. Call your admission rep and ask them, just to be on the safe side.

Thank you for the input. I will be calling them tomorrow during business hours to hear what they have to say. I was only worried about speaking with a rep knowing they are biased towards getting me to attend and getting my money. I only hope that they are ethical and would not do that.

What you do from here on out is most important. Yes, you have made some mistakes when you were younger (and a fairly recent one). Begin now to build a record of safety and responsibility and it will be easy to explain that you have learned from your mistakes.

If your training progress and attitude show responsibility and maturity, this should not prevent you from getting a job as a CFI at DCA or an FO at an airline.

Best wishes!

Damnit Pilot2b!!!! Don't worry about that, you'd just better pass that stage check.

by: your flight instructor
smirk.gif

Back