Drinking Again - Busted By The T.S.A.

Re: Carrying on Pilot Stuff

I've never had any problems neither. I always leave my Gat fuel tester at home.

I never put my flight stuff in my checked suitcase. If I can't lose it, I won't put it under the plane.

TSA went through it one time, they didn't say a word about anything. I told the lady I was in flight school, she said good luck and was real nice.

I remember walking through Dulles one day... I was going through their security checkpoint when I forgot to take my cell phone out of my cargo pocket, plus I was wearing my watch. Of course the lil machine beeped, but instead of letting me through the machine again without my cell phone and watch, they segregated me from all the other passengers and searched every single item that I was carrying. They wanded me over twice, plus searched my carry-on and even put my bag through the bomb-swab deal. I even found a little orange tag on my checked luggage that said "inspected by ____". I'm not sure if that's normal procedure there, but damn.

The funniest part about all this was what they did with my watch...

<TSA guy> *wandin my watch 3 times*
<machine> *beepin*
<TSA guy> Uhh...
<me> Yeah, it's metal...
<TSA guy> Oh...

tongue.gif

By the way, I've never once had a problem with my flight bag. They usually don't even seem to notice.

My wife took a trip out there (Dulles) and she said their security is so thorough it is beyond being a nuisance.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if that's normal procedure there, but damn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, yeah. That's standard procedure. You beep, you get searched.

You know, Dulles is really quick. I get through there in virtually no time at all when I fly out of there!

Don't ask me why!

My wife and I were flying a couple of months after 9/11 when everything was new(er) and everyone was kinda freaked.

As we waited to be checked we saw that they had pulled an elderly couple out of the line and were giving them the third degree. It was easy to tell from their accent that they were simply an elderly couple from the southern US. I have no problem with them being checked. But just ahead of us in the line were three young guys who from their dress and accents it was easy to tell were from the Middle East. They passed through with hardly a second glance. I mean come on! I'm sure there might have been more going on than met my eye, but it sure give the appearance of political correctness run amuck!

[ QUOTE ]
My wife took a trip out there (Dulles) and she said their security is so thorough it is beyond being a nuisance.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh. Must have been a bad day, the few times I've used IAD since 9/11 it's been no worse than anywhere else--or maybe I've become numb to the standard security modus operandi. Those "mobile lounges" on the other hand...what a pain in the...

[ QUOTE ]
But just ahead of us in the line were three young guys who from their dress and accents it was easy to tell were from the Middle East.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the TSA, racial profiling is a no-no. I guess we'll just have to wait til an al Qaeda cell pops up as an elderly couple from Indiana. *rolls eyes*
tongue.gif

The pilot had been with Virgin Atlantic for 14 years and has a clean slate. The flight was cancelled and the people left the next day for London. I know it is allegedly , but if he is found guilty, I wonder how many times it may have happened in the past 14 years and he wasn't caught. As for the cancelling of the flight, do the Airlines normally swap crews when they have those long flights? Would the crew from day1's arrival at Point A make the return flight to Point B on Day2?

[ QUOTE ]
due to take 383 passengers on Virgin Atlantic flight VS22 from Dulles airport, Washington, to Heathrow airport in London when he was arrested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that must be a record for passengers stranded due to alcohol!

Can't wait until the 7E7 comes out... then what'll it be, 500-something?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, that must be a record for passengers stranded due to alcohol! Can't wait until the 7E7 comes out... then what'll it be, 500-something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your thinking of the A380.
If the pilot was drinking and failed the test, who cares how he was found out. Now the question was the pilot drinking and he did fail the test?

[ QUOTE ]
The pilot had been with Virgin Atlantic for 14 years and has a clean slate. The flight was cancelled and the people left the next day for London. I know it is allegedly , but if he is found guilty, I wonder how many times it may have happened in the past 14 years and he wasn't caught. As for the cancelling of the flight, do the Airlines normally swap crews when they have those long flights? Would the crew from day1's arrival at Point A make the return flight to Point B on Day2?

[/ QUOTE ]

With flights 1 and 2 (LHR to EWR and back to LHR), the flight 1 crew goes to the hotel in NYC and the crew from the previous nights flight 1 flys flight 2. Last night they sent us the A340-800 instead of flight 1/2's usual 747-400, which made for an interesting night. In this case, 2 nights ago an A348 crew deadheaded as pax on flight 1 and flew the A348 back to LHR last night. I suppose if tonight is the normal 744, last nights flight 1 A348 crew will deadhead back as pax.

Follow, good.
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]yep sorry, the A380, double-decker thingy.

[/ QUOTE ]

We've been told that VS will be flying the A380 by '06 into JFK. The Port Authority of NY/NJ only built the gates and other facilities to handle the A380 at JFK.

Back