Dr. Strangelove on TCM right now

sopdan

10:15 pm EST

Just thought I'd give a heads up, this excellent movie isn't shown on TV too often.

I think this is one of the best movies of all time (well, my time anyway). It was the first DVD I ever bought.

Ya just Gotta love Buck Turgidson (look up the meaning of turgid). Great casting all the way around not to mention the biting political commentary.

It was the first DVD I bought, too!!! I love Col. Batguano.
smile.gif

Oh, and one of my favorite quotes out of a movie ever....

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here!!! This is the War Room!!!"

icon38.gif
icon38.gif
icon38.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I LOVE that movie!

[/ QUOTE ]

James Earl Jones first movie. Plays Lt. Lothar Zogg, B-52 bombardier.

In an interview of George C. Scott, he claimed the character of General Buck Turgidson was his favorite role he's played, more so than Patton.

The B-52, flown by Major TJ "King" Kong and his crew had nose art (never shown in the film) and was named "Leper Colony"

Peter Sellers plays the parts of Group Captain Lionel Mandrake, President Merkin Muffley, and Dr Strangelove.

Classic lines:

President Muffley: "You can't fight in here, this is the war room!"

Gen "Buck" Turgidson: "Mr. President, I hate to judge the man before all the facts are in.....but it does appear that General Ripper may have exceeded his authority....."

Gen "Buck" Turgidson: "Mr. President...I wouldn't condemn an entire program because of a single slip-up..."

Classic movie. That's the reason for my Avatar. Surprises me that that kind of humor would've been accepted by movie audiences in 1964.

General "Buck" Turgidson: Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks.

Or,
General "Buck" Turgidson: If the pilot's good, I mean if he's reeeally sharp, he can barrel that thing in so low, oh it's a sight to see. You wouldn't expect it with a big ol' plane like a '52, but varrrooom! The jet exhaust... frying chickens in the barnyard!

Hey, don't go quoting me without permission.
tongue.gif

So many great lines in that movie.

I love the dialogue between Turgidson and one of the war room members:

"Strangelove, what kind of name is that? That ain't no German name"

"He changed it after the war it used to be Merkwurdigliebe"

"Ah, a kraut by any other name..."

Merkwurdigliebe is German for Strangelove

Also, after learning about the doomsday machine and how terrible a weapon it is, Turgidson says, "Gee, I wish we had one of them Doomsday machines."

Best movie ever!

P.S. at the end of the movie when Strangelove is ranting, right before he stands up, watch the Russian Ambassador. He breaks character and trys not to crack up laughing, then he gathers it back together.

Back