DPE for Initial CFI

eliteflight

Does anyone have any tips on how to bypass the FSDO/FAA Inspector and get a DPE for the Initial CFI checkride (such as going through another FSDO -- we are in Atlanta)?

The reason: One of my students actually went to the FAA for the Initial checkride several years ago. They finished the oral, but the Inspector decided he didn't want to fly, so he terminated the exam. He sent a letter of discontinuance, but delayed getting it out, and it arrived after it had expired.

The student has been busy with work since then, but now finally has the time to get back up to speed, and try again. I'd like to send him to a DPE, and avoid the FSDO, if it's possible.

Another CFI mentioned having heard of a "letter of non-availability", but he didn't know how to go about getting one.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

I would start with calling the FSDO and asking to get a DPE for the reason you last explained. If they don't want to designate a DPE then send your student to a flight school in Southern Florida if it is possible. I know the Miami FSDO tends to designate DPEs to do their CFI initials.

I would start with calling the FSDO and asking to get a DPE for the reason you last explained. If they don't want to designate a DPE then send your student to a flight school in Southern Florida if it is possible. I know the Miami FSDO tends to designate DPEs to do their CFI initials.

North Florida FSDO (Orlando) is almost exclusively DPE for CFI-Initials, as well.

We were told at an FAA safety meeting exactly one month ago that the FAA was doing ALL CFI checkrides now. I did mine with a DPE, but that was over two years ago.

With the story you have, you might be able to talk them into it, but our FAA rep was pretty insistent that orders had come from on high to do all initial CFIs.

Just because one student had a problem doesn't mean that the whole system has a problem. Well, maybe it does, but I would just go through the FSDO - it's usually fairly quick

We were told at an FAA safety meeting exactly one month ago that the FAA was doing ALL CFI checkrides now. I did mine with a DPE, but that was over two years ago.

With the story you have, you might be able to talk them into it, but our FAA rep was pretty insistent that orders had come from on high to do all initial CFIs.

That was probably the FSDO you were talking to. They have the ability to do what they want to do in their district as far as CFI initials and other stuff.

Hmmm. "I want to use a DPE because you people are too apathetic to give a competent checkride."

Yep, that will work.

Well, word it a little differently then :p

Just say the the FSDO rep wasn't able to finish the check ride because of scheduling problems and would like to have a DPE to finish/redo the check ride.

Hey there, just thought i would throw in a opinion.

DON'T GO TO SOUTH FLORIDA FOR A DPE INITIAL!!

I went to ATP and they send all their students to florida for rides with DPE's in Fort Lauderdale and Tampa. There are a couple of decent DPE's down there but there are a couple of them that are in it just for the money. I will not go into details. Just leave it at that, i can expand in a private post or message or whatever.

My DPE for my CFI initial was very fair even though i had heard bad rumors about him. The thread was that he failed every third applicant. For this DPE however it is my experience that if you screw up something then he busts you. Other DPE's that i have heard of from friends (not second hand, but strraight from the applicant) that are in FLL and Tampa will bust if they have a schedule to keep. They will usually try to get so deep into detail and ask for a verbatim definition and when they do not get it they will bust on that and have paperwork done and be gone in less than 10 minutes. If you are in atlanta, then take a trip over to ATP and ask some of the pilot who have recently returned from rides, or call around, or keep posting here.

If you can find a DPE in Georgia then you should try for that. There are honest DPE's in Florida.....but I would not want to take a chance with a $400-500 dollar checkride and then have to pay a recheck fee of between 200-300 dollars. Find one in Georgia....ask questions about the DPE's in Florida....

And take my rantings with a grain of salt. I busted through my own fault. I have two friends who busted because the DPE was a jerk! They were both much better with knowledge than I ever was.

Either way...Good Luck!!

If you do go to South Florida, I know most of the good DPE names. The Miami FSDO gives you 2 DPEs to choose from. Usually one of them will be a fair DPE. Fair as in follows the PTS and does not fail someone before the check ride starts.

Some good DPE's. Pinkston, Black, Downing, Sotolongo, and Eaves.
I've only had rides with Pinkston, Eaves, and Sotolongo. My students like Downing. Have some friends who went with Black, his name comes up as being good.

Does anyone have any tips on how to bypass the FSDO/FAA Inspector and get a DPE for the Initial CFI checkride (such as going through another FSDO -- we are in Atlanta)?

The reason: One of my students actually went to the FAA for the Initial checkride several years ago. They finished the oral, but the Inspector decided he didn't want to fly, so he terminated the exam. He sent a letter of discontinuance, but delayed getting it out, and it arrived after it had expired.

The student has been busy with work since then, but now finally has the time to get back up to speed, and try again. I'd like to send him to a DPE, and avoid the FSDO, if it's possible.

Another CFI mentioned having heard of a "letter of non-availability", but he didn't know how to go about getting one.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Have your student do it with the FSDO. I think it is very important for the applicant to get to know an inspector. Chances are it will be a good experience. There are some not so great inspectors out there, but for the most part, they are good people. Also, it is free.

In regards to his previous experience, he should have contacted the manager of the FSDO that he originally took his checkride and filed a complaint against the inspector.

Michael

Did my CFI initial at the Windsor Locks FSDO and had a fantastic experience. In fact, I got my current part time job (non cfi) through the examiner! Just do the FSDO.

Have your student do it with the FSDO. I think it is very important for the applicant to get to know an inspector. Chances are it will be a good experience. There are some not so great inspectors out there, but for the most part, they are good people. Also, it is free.

I did my ride with a DPE and it went fine, but a couple friends of mine have, alas, been part of the dreaded CFI-Initial first-time failure statistics. And, let me tell you, those examination and re-examination fees add up quickly. Free is a very good price.

Back