down and Dirty

[ QUOTE ]
MikeD, can we get the pictures of the fluoride guy and the girl under your name switched? I’d like a bigger version of her. Sounds like you had some bad experiences in your civilian training, sorry to hear that. In a perfect world, all the flight instructors would have 30k hours of experience, train new pilots and send them off to fly right seat somewhere. Then after they built up 30k hours, they would become flight instructors. Unfortunately, the economics don’t work out that way. I must say though, that I have been very lucky with my flight instructors (for the most part) in receiving very high quality training. These guys were definitely not “blind”.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree that in the perfect world this would be. My bone of contention is in seeing all these FBO vs academy arguments. What no one seems to realize is that they're both pretty much the same all around. The same low hour CFIs that came up that schools ladder and now teach. Difference is, one wears a Polo shirt, and one wears a white shirt with gold bar denoting just how much time he's been around waiting for his shot at the commuters. Quality-wise, you're getting pretty much the same product. Sure, I'll get the arguments "but my school has a RJ simulator, teaches CRM, blah, blah." And that's all good training that the newly minted CFI is going to immediately put to use and retain? Not likely, unless they're training for some ab initio program.

In both the academy and the FBO, 61 or 141, arguing about which is better or worse is like pissing in the wind.

Yeah Mike D, I agree with you. You can get the same training anywhere if you're motivated. However, that's also why I say the academies are much worse than the FBOs, because if you can get the same training anywhere then why pay the extra tens of thousands of dollars that academies charge?

Sure, there's some expensive, rip-off FBOs out there too, but most of the time I think it's safe to say that a ma and pa FBO isn't going to be able to stick it to ya like the big academies.

Back