Doug's Mantra....

JEP

Does It Really Matter....?
Staff member
Doug\'s Mantra....

Just in case nobody believes in Doug's mantra of Network, Network, Network...and The toes you step on today maybe connected to the foot of the person interviewing you tomorrow (or something like that) Let me just drop another example. As I was waiting for my football game to start last night (part time FB official) I was brushing up with the ASA Oral Exam guide (Instrument Rating) and a fan stopped to talk to me. He sees my exam books and we start talking about aviation. It turns out he is a 767 Captain for United. Then during the game I was talking to the other official and as it turns out, he is a controller at MSP. Before the game the UA Captain, went home and grabbed some videos/dvd's and after the game came up to me and said Merry Christmas. They were several training dvd's about weather, gps, etc... Just like that I had several tapes that I was considering buying. What a small world is turns out to be. I never doubted Doig's word, but this just helps to reinforce it.

Re: Doug\'s Mantra....

Ya, I thought Corbin was abducted the other night when he disappeared with our son and was gone after dark, and did not take a car. I found him down the street. He had seen a guy working on an airplane part in his garage and he started talking to him. It was a Sky West Capt. who had gone from 0 to SW in 17 months by buying his own plane. Glad he wasn't the neighbor that we wanted to call the pound to take their dog about.
smile.gif
You really do never know what someone could mean to you even if it's just a friendship so I always try to be a good neighbor, sometimes I get a little fiesty though. Corbin on the other hand is bothered by nothing and has pretty much never pissed anyone off in his life. (Except me and his parents'
smile.gif
) So he won't really have to wonder if he's ever bit the hand that might feed him one day. (Unless it's my hand.)
wink.gif

In fact, the America West captain that I asked for a jumpseat from DFW to PHX is a pretty big fan of the website.

Doesn't post, but lurks a lot!

Scary going to the cockpit to ask to bum a ride home and the guy already knows you!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Scary going to the cockpit to ask to bum a ride home and the guy already knows you!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you imagine if he did not mention anything about the site and just asked how Kristie was - and for the next week you have to figure out how you know this guy.

That would be way too funny.

One of my captain pals Jay always asks, "How's Big Al?" who is my father in law!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I always jumpseat on Alaska to and from work and have the same last name as my Uncle who flies for them. I am asked almost everytime if I am related to him. My Uncle has talked to some of them about what I am doing so some of them have heard all about me. One of the captains got his job because of my Uncle, it is a very small world.

As for the networking thing, the guy that helped me get my interview is the son of a guy that was in my Uncle's new hire class at Alaska in 1984. He flew with the chief pilot of my company when at a different company and was able to get me the interview. During the interview I was asked about where I was teaching and if I knew a former instructor. When I told the chief pilot that the instructor was my first instructor he informed me that they are best friends. When I got home from the interview, I gave the instructor a call and a couple of days later he called me back and told me to expect a job offer.

The aviation world is small, and it is incredible who you may run into down the road.

Back