Doug needs to start a flight academy

Not sure of the specifics but Cessna gives FBO rebates or incentives on hourly operation costs so the school makes more. If someone knows of the details of this please post

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure of the specifics but Cessna gives FBO rebates or incentives on hourly operation costs so the school makes more. If someone knows of the details of this please post

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if that would really be worth it....you're still paying for new aircraft....

[ QUOTE ]
They reimburse like 25 an hour or something though.

[/ QUOTE ]

well for a 182, then you need olny fly it 9000 hours till it is paid for
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
With the right business plan a flight academy could be very profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that pearl of wisdom.
tongue.gif

It all sounds easy until you really crunch the numbers. The aircraft need to fly more than 20 hrs. a week, as some one wrote. The insurance is a killer and this one fixed cost, keeps the rental hours higher than they need/should be. I would like to see flight schools charge the students a flat fee for insurance, private insurance policy that covers the school and student. Kind of like the car rental agency business. You have the option to use your own car insurance, charge card coverage, or sign up for the agency policy. Right now, the insurance, on average, is running around $17/hr per aircraft flight hour. Add to that the maintenance cost per/hr, aircraft replacement cost/hr., fuel cost per/hr., and you can see why it cost so much to get hourly flight training. The buildings and staff that filght school have cost a bunch of money. Most of the flight schools profits are in the ground schools and extra charges for Flight Instructors. Schools only pay the instructors half or less of what they charge for dual instruction. The more ground schools they require, the higher the cost to the student. This is why it is less expensive to go the FBO route for flight training/experience. You can do all of the ground school training by yourself, at a greater savings. You can get all of the required ratings and certificates and logged hours required by the regional airlines, the FBO route. Flight schools that have guarantee "interviews" and guarantee "airline jobs" and guarantee "this", are full of broken student dreams. You don't hear of all those who did not make it, all you hear about are those who were lucky and somehow made it through all the high priced requirements. Ever wonder why the airlines avoid the flight school business? I do not consider DCA and Gulf Strean as being owned by an airline. The connection airline still hires pilots from outside the academy, and the smoke and mirror song and dance is just that. Why hire outside the so called "Connection Academy" if the former students are that great?

Insurance has gotten out of hand. Then best I could do was 10 percent of the value of the plane each year for commercial hull coverage. Add to that liability insurance, and you are looking at 5K a year for a nice 152.

My choice was to go with liability only and require students to get thier own hull coverage via renters insurance. Renters insurance has become more popular over the years because it covers the student for any damage he might do.

Gotta agree with DE,

Insurance is a joke. Some older model aircraft can not be insured. Older 310s for example. Insurance companies simply will not insure older 310s. "To much risk." WTF? They keep this type of attitude up and there won't be anything left to insure.

What really ticks me off is that there are only (since 9/11) about eight underwriters willing to underwrite aviation insurance. We've found out only three of those eight will accept an Apache. And, then, to add further insult to injury as an insurance holder (if you own an aircraft) you can not "shop around" until you either let your current coverage expire or cancel it because the "industry" has tied coverage to your tailnumber and they will not quote you a price unless your tailnuimber is uninsured. Yeah, there are "ways" around it but the point is there shouldn;'t have to be "ways" around it.
smirk.gif

However, what I'm deathly afraid of is any kind of FAA rule that requires insurance - for private owners/operators. That would be the death knell for GA.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They reimburse like 25 an hour or something though.

[/ QUOTE ]

well for a 182, then you need olny fly it 9000 hours till it is paid for
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

On top of the 75 or something you rent it for. I wish I could remember who I talked to
frown.gif
It was something like that though. The rent it for 75-80 hr and Cessna pays additional to the school

Back