Don't you hate it when....

When it’s a pizza in the lunch room kind of day, and you find the perfect alternate but all available approaches are NOTAM’d as “ALTERNATE MINIMUMS NOT AUTHORIZED”.
The good news is now the FAA is finally getting around to phasing out alt mins NA for the larger airports. They finally realised you don’t need ground based Navaids for approaches as you can substitute the stuff that navaid would give you with GPS. Now at many airports it reads ALTERNATE MINIMUMS NOT AUTHORIZED EXCEPT FOR AIRCRAFT EQUIPPED WITH SUITABLE RNAV SYSTEM” (or something to that effect)

The good news is now the FAA is finally getting around to phasing out alt mins NA for the larger airports. They finally realised you don’t need ground based Navaids for approaches as you can substitute the stuff that navaid would give you with GPS. Now at many airports it reads ALTERNATE MINIMUMS NOT AUTHORIZED EXCEPT FOR AIRCRAFT EQUIPPED WITH SUITABLE RNAV SYSTEM” (or something to that effect)
Also, with smaller airports, my airline has occasionally had luck calling and getting those NOTAMS changed.

Where has this been my whole life!?

If I had a dollar for each time I got off shift after dealing with the morning NYC IROP, for PM shift to get pizza after half their flights were cancelled...

THIS. THIS! The worst was when I came in the next morning to see it wasn't pizza but catered food from a place I love aaaaaand of course there was none left :\ just boxes everywhere so I knew what was lol

Oh, hey. Look at Bermuda today.

TAF TXKF 181141Z 1812/1912 27010KT 9999 VCSH FEW008 SCT020 BKN300
PROB40
TEMPO 1812/1822 BKN008 OVC012
PROB30
TEMPO 1818/1824 30010KT 4000 SHRA SCT006CB BKN012
BECMG 1823/1902 32005KT 9999 NSW FEW018 SCT035

A prob 40 tempo overlapping with a prob 30 tempo that has a becoming during the last hour of it!!

Back