Don't want to go public because CAA admin is reading the board?

journey

Don\'t want to go public because CAA admin is reading the board?

Then send me a private e-mail at jetjourney@charter.net
I would really appreciate some first hand information from current students and instructors... you WERE once where I am now... so please give me your perspective on CAA whether it be good, bad, or in between...
My two choices are FlightSafety and Comair. A fellow from ATA (that I picked up from ilsapproach.com ) has recently been corresponding with me and I started to really think about them again until I read some posts here on this board regarding the SIC turbine time. Being only a private pilot I did not realize the issue is riddled with real concerns over legalities, and some of you think it is taking someone else's job. If one cannot log the SIC time how can they ( ATA ) get away with advertising it as such? When I visited last year at ATA there were legal problems... seems there still may be...don't need or want to be in the middle of all that! Anyway, I'm sticking to my two choices and want to make a final decision very soon and be on my way to Florida. So please folks, help a fellow student aviator with any info you may have, I'll return the favor to the next prospective student inquiring once I'm in. Thanks!

Re: Don\'t want to go public because CAA admin is reading the board?

I've been at Comair about 2 1/2 months, and still love it. I also was trying to decide between FSI and Comair. I finally chose Comair because they seemed to offer more benefits, like free flight passes when you become an instructor, but I also know that I won't be able to use them very much. I was very impressed with both schools, but finally had to make a decision, and went with Comair. I have absolutly no regrets, and feel that the training I am recieving is second to none. I have also read on this site where FSI students are interested in coming to Comair to instruct because of the long wait at FSI to become an instructor. Thats something to consider.

I'm still figuring things out here at Comair, but so far no big suprises. Any questions you have I will try to answer. Hope this helps a little.

As an FSI student, lemme clear this up. I haven't heard of one student wanting to go to CAA to instruct, and I keep my ear to the ground. I was up in Orlando the other day and stopped by just because I had some time to kill and I learned a few things:

1. There are waaaaayyy too many frickin' toll roads in ORL. I got hit with over $8 just running from downtown to SFB one way!

2. The place was like Animal House. Not particularly professional.

3. I talked to a current student (working on cfii) in the parking lot. She said she was happy with the place, but reminded me that instructors are kicked out after their 800 hours dual given. They generally only get around 100 hours multi in that time.

4. The airplanes didn't look like something I wanted to spend a lot of time with. Grubby 152s?!?!? Forget it!

No one is leaving Vero to go instruct 800 hours, only get 100 multi and then get put out on your ear. The J/S privelege is a great bennie, but I'd rather have some real multi hours. In 800 hours dual given @ FSI, you'll get around 400-500multi. I don't plan on having that much time off to J/S around. Keep in mind, Comair (the airline) came to FlightSafety not too long ago to set up interviews with our instructors.

Just calling it like I see it.

Chunk

Question - I talked with a recently finished Comair instructor that told me instructors earn $10 an hour and receive no benefits - medical, dental, etc. If this has changed, please advise our would be student. I know instructors traditionally don't earn that much, but one does have to eat, so keep that in mind when you make your decision.

Hey chunk,
I talked to a couple guys from FSI on my tour about having to wait for stands class and how it was gonna take a while at FSI to become an instructor. just thought i would addd that since you said you havent heard of anyone leaving.

-Brian

There is a wait for stan class. It is about 6-8 months. Some people leave to instruct at other places, usually their home town. Maybe some are going north to SFB, but it certainly isn't a popular option (I haven't heard of anyone) and it isn't the first option. That was my point...that all things being equal, none of us would leave here to go to CAA (or many other places for that manner). I find it flattering that CAA marketing makes such a point about what FSI students are doing.

I know that I push FSI hard, but it's because I really think this is the best school out there and I hear so many horror stories about other schools. Of course, FSI isn't for everyone. Read the jc forum on FSI....you don't see anyone screaming bloody murder about admin and accounting or other problems. I think jetcareers is a great impartial source of student opinion and I think it speaks volumes that you don't hear constant complaints in our forum. Each individual should make their own decision, but ensure it's an informed decision.

Good luck to everyone,
Chunk

Hey Chunk, I've noticed over the past few months your getting more and more defensive about FSI and more quick to bash other schools. Personally, I'm a big fan of FSI's program. They have many quality points. I'm also a big fan of Comair's program. I chose Comair over FSI because of two main reasons: Long term objectives; Comair had a better track record, and cost was much less. I read through the, as you call it, marketing b.s., at both schools, and yes, FSI had their fair share of questions that they would definitely dance around the issue and not look you in the eye and keep talking until they hoped you wouldn't ask anymore. When I was talking to FSI's marketing people, I felt like I was watching "Face the Nation" listening to a very well coached politician. So get off your "marketing sleezeball" soap box, everyone is sick of it. You're starting to sound like one yourself (sorry, but you are). Just be smart enough to read between the lines. I could have cared less what they were trying to sell, I look at final product. FSI has a great product, as does Comair. That is never in doubt. FSI's planes may look a little better, but I bet they don't fly any better. Personally, I'm not that vain, as long as they are mechanically sound, I'm good to go. In fact, I think Comair's planes look much better under the hood where it counts. But this is getting off the topic. I also hate to tell you, but I've seen and been approached by quite a few FSI students looking to finish out at Comair on the tours. Whether or not they are getting your permission or telling you before they do this is another topic. As a smart PIC decision, you weigh all options carefully, then act. I guess they are just weighing their options. I would to if I were in their shoes. Having the possibility of not being able to work for eight months in the field you were trained for is a harsh reality. But it looks like they are smart enough to ask, evaluate, and make their own decisions. If Comair is not for them, it's not for them. Every month at Comair Academy, more and more guys are getting hired at Comair. If not there, Chitaqua or ACA. Every month, more instructors are in Standz class. Every month, sometimes twice a month, there are new student orientations. It keeps plugging along even in todays flying environment. That's why I chose Comair; end result. What they promised I got. I'm coming up on giving my contract required 800 dual given (100 of that last month, it's been very good lately) and yes, then they will probably give me the proverbial boot. But the way I look at it, they are giving me the boot to bigger and better opportunities. Kind of like the mother bird kicking the young ones out of the nest. Just remember, your elitist attitude isn't going to "fly" when you have to fly in the same cockpit with some of these people that went to other schools that you so quickly dismiss because it wasn't FSI. Live and learn. Get outside the bubble. And yes Chunk, I too call it like I see it.
wink.gif

Yes, I have become more FSI-centric because I have talked to more and more students of other schools. I am totally disgusted by the business practices of a lot of these places (not talking about Comair). I guess it's similar to a student talking about their university. I don't think FSI is for everyone.

I'm sorry if I sound like a marketing dude. I'm not. What makes me different is:

1. I am not being paid to say the things I say.
2. I tell the truth.

That certainly makes a big difference. I apologize if I come across that way. It's certainly not my intention.

As far as seeking my permission....take it easy. I only said I haven't heard of any. I think it's pretty obvious that I didn't intend to claim knowledge of all of our student's intentions. Just what I hear and what I observe as the general trend.

I hope you enjoy your time at CAA. If it worked out for you, great! I wish you the best of luck! I wil, however,l ask you to expand on your "better track record" comment. I think a statement like that needs some proof. Please don't quote that ridiculous 97% figure used in CAA's advertisements. I think we all know that's a bit misleading.

Take it easy,

Chunk <---biased, yes. truthful, yes.

well the 97% is a lil misleading but here is the breakdown of what it really equates to.

its says 97% of their instructors get hired. And only aout 85% of the students that finish make it to being an insturctor. And where it says 97% there is an asterik next to it saying that the numbers were provided based on hiring from 89-2000. Which is, of course, before 9/11. But i do remember Doug saying someting about the early 90's being similar to today, in regards to the hiring trend in the industry.

thats still a pretty good statistic. With those numbers, you would have to be pretty terrible not to be hired for an instructor and an airline coming out of comair.

-Brian

So your saying:
*97 % hired of the *85% that make instructor of the *70% that complete the program.
That gives a new start about a 50/50 chance of realizing his/her dreams at Comair Academy.

Disclaimer: *70% is an estimate based on my observation at Comair as a former student,
the real percentage is unknown outside of CAA upper level management.

Can anyone dispute these figures?

What are comair instructors doing after CAA gives them the boot after 800 hours?

The majority would most likely have around 1200TT, this gives you a shot a regional position but doesn't make you very competitive. Seems like 1500TT and a multi ATP are the winning combination these days.........

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
What are comair instructors doing after CAA gives them the boot after 800 hours

[/ QUOTE ]

Most are waiting for class dates in Cinci.

If the majority are moving on to Comair, good for them. I was just wondering if that was happening or if most instructors are looking for other teaching gigs after thier contracts?

From what i have heard most (many?) of the CFI's that don't get on with Comair are getting picked up by one of the other regionals. I heard in the October class, of the seven CFI's that interviewed with Comair, three were hired, and the other four were picked up by Chataqua the following week.

I think i also heard that of the November class Comair only took one of seven, and i havent heard about the other six.

No proof of any of this, that's just the rumor...

Nah, say whatever you want to say because the only people that have access to your credentials is me. And until I have an armada of lawyers with a subpeona to my user information, your anonymoity is assured.

I did a checkout of a former Comair CFII at our local airport. I did not ask him any details about why he was not working for an airline.

What a scarry flight...

I thank God I dont work for CAA.

"What a scarry flight..."

Maybe that's why they aren't flying for an airline.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

I did a checkout of a former Comair CFII at our local airport. I did not ask him any details about why he was not working for an airline.

What a scarry flight...

I thank God I dont work for CAA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do tell why you "thank God" you don't work for CAA. But, in the same token, who cares. (narrow-mindedness springs to mind)
And for all who care, Comair has pretty much cleaned out their hiring pool and have given class dates up in Cinci. Of the five instructors that went up for an interview less than two weeks ago, four of them have received their "hired" letters, the fifth one is still waiting on his (hopefully no news is good news). In fact, I know of one instructor that had his interview on Nov. 20th, got hired, and has a class date up in Cinci on Dec. 9th. How's that for a turn around time? Come to think of it, I thank God everyday that I work at CAA!
grin.gif

Yep, I'll absolutely back up Jpilot on this. Comair IS hiring it's instructors into the airline. We just got one of our guys down here from Broward hired, and a small group are currently doing the paperwork for interviews.
I know this seems contrary to the popular belief of some (who don't even seem to know much about Comair), but I'm afraid to say it's true!

Back