Dont take your job for granted.

flyboy04

Hey guys and gals, I just wanted to pop in and tell you all that don't take for granted the career you chose and despise at times. I was with Expressjet over 4 years before a sudden case of epilepsy ended it all. Most of the time Im happy with the wife at home, but im just having one of those weeks where id give anything to go on a trip, maybe a long layover in Veracruz, or Baltimore for an Orioles game. So enjoy it today, because it could be all over tomorrow. Also, if you don't have LTD, get it. Safe flying everyone.

Hell, don't take your life for granted. Just over a week ago I had a coworker take off on a 36 mile milk run with one pound of freight and never come back. None of us is guaranteed tomorrow.

Hey flyboy04

Thanks for posting. Its 2 AM, I just got home from a very discouraging flight, and your post was like chicken soup for the soul.... I will press on.

Thanks

Hell, don't take your life for granted. Just over a week ago I had a coworker take off on a 36 mile milk run with one pound of freight and never come back. None of us is guaranteed tomorrow.
+1 to this. I went in for a routine surgery and it nearly killed me twice. enjoy every day no matter how routine or stressful. Now that I am ok (so far) groundhog day each day is great.

sorry to hear about the OP. do you have a back-up plan? perhaps soon medical science will permit you to fly again.

Sorry for your loss. Potential loss of medical was one thing I considered when choosing this career. I had an ex-roommate loose his. Fortunately he was young enough and went to med school. I have no backup plan.

Sorry to hear this news. Have you talked to ALPA Aeromedical? If there is ANY way to get the medical back, they are the ones to go to.

Man I know I nearly lost my life a year ago due to a horrible seizure, broke my nose and fractured a vertebrae, so Im thankful to still be here. And I appreciate all the replies, the FAA requires 10 year seizure free off Medication and my seizures aren't even controlled on medication, i cant even drive and wouldn't dream of flying a 50+ pax jet in this condition. Maybe someday, brain surgery could be option, but id rather not have my brain cut on if i can help it. Like I said in my earlier post though, please please take out LTD if you don't have it, my life would be in shambles if I didn't.

Man I know I nearly lost my life a year ago due to a horrible seizure, broke my nose and fractured a vertebrae, so Im thankful to still be here. And I appreciate all the replies, the FAA requires 10 year seizure free off Medication and my seizures aren't even controlled on medication, i cant even drive and wouldn't dream of flying a 50+ pax jet in this condition. Maybe someday, brain surgery could be option, but id rather not have my brain cut on if i can help it. Like I said in my earlier post though, please please take out LTD if you don't have it, my life would be in shambles if I didn't.

Scary stuff, I hope you're ok in the long run. Im sorry to hear about your seizures but you give good advice. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help out.

Good post! This resonates well with me too; I never made it to my intended airline career. I was working as a CFI, just after getting all the ratings, when I found out I was diabetic and lost my medical for a year until the appropriate tests were submitted to the FAA. Fortunately I am able to continue instructing on a special-issuance 3rd class med. Believe me, I am thankful to God for EVERY flight!

No matter if you work in aviation or not, private sector or public sector no job can be taken for granted. There will be hundreds in line waiting for your spot and will work for peanuts if they can.........

Back