Does this bother anybody else?

Yes, the hotlink tracker works fine ;-)
That's how I found this forum and my picture.

I hope they open the 2nd runway there soon, so that these backtracks are not necesarry there anymore.

MD11F
:)

Obviously not what happened, but another possibility....

Many times I've been cleared to cross a runway while landing traffic was still on the rollout, but had decelerated to the point where collision would not be an issue and were about to make a turnoff. With 5000 ft of runway seperating us most of the time in these scenarios, I'm not too worried. Not to mention the LAHSO possibilities that exist out there.

This kind of thing happens to me a few weeks ago in Mexico. We were told to taxi to position and hold, and while we were waiting we saw a plane on the other end. According to his nav lights (this was at night), it appeared to to be moving towards us. I was like "holy #### is that a plane on the runway?", the captain said "yep, he just landed". I thought it had landed on the opposite runway, but it had landed on the same runway we were lined up on and it was just taxiing back.

Hello everybody,

I can see there is a lot of confusion going on about that picture.

Here the explanation.

FIrst of all: I did the photo, I am the guy who took the photo.

Here the story: the MD11 of UPS landed on runway 05 and had to BACKTRACK to vacate via taxiway "C". We were cleared to line up and wait because there is a backtracking traffic still on the runway. So we lined up and waited on the runway until the MD11 of UPS had cleared the runway.
It took them about another minute until they left the runway and we took off without any problems. He didn't land head on, he landed in the direction we were taking off. So, there were never any danger at all.
And NO Photoshopping as well! This picture is real.
I hope that cleared it up ;-)

Thanks

MD11F

How you doing man? Glad you made it over here from jp.net :p

1405105.jpg

http://www.airliners.net/photo/United-Parcel-Service/McDonnell-Douglas-MD-11F/1405105/L/

If the MD-11's just coming in, shouldn't the runway be clear of all traffic?

It happens all the time in certain former Soviet countries. Like this picture in Kazakhstan. After landing you back taxi on the runway while the other traffic lines up and waits. Sometimes, to make myself feel better I talk with the aircraft waiting and directly tell them my intentions and make sure they understand what we are all doing. Seems to work fine.

Back