Does one tip a CFI?

knie0012

I just finished my ppl, and no longer will be working with my CFI. Is there a common practice of "tipping" or "thank you" that goes along with completion of ones license?

We get along pretty well and I believe we will fly together every once in a while too...

What would be a nice gesture, or what would you guys think is a good idea for a poor, overworked CFI?

Thanks for the suggestions.
Jason

I am in the middle of primary instruction for a Father and a daughter. I drive around 65 miles each way to the airport to instruct. They gave me a really nice Christmas card that had a $50 gift card to the local gas station. Unexpected and really nice.

For my 2 so far (PPL and IR) I have given the instructor a thank you card and gift cert - not because I felt I had to but because I wanted to.

Whatever you feel is appropriate.

Tipping or a gift of some sort is never expected, but always appreciated. I've gotten taken out to eat a couple times and was given a copy of the movie "One Six Right" once.

So it's not out of place to give something. But you won't be viewed poorly if you decide not to give anything. It's whatever you feel is appropriate.

Maybe his/ her flightschool has a twin, I have heard of CFI's getting a few hours worth of twin time from their students. Is he/she young, underappreciated, underpaid or well employed in a great flight school?
There are a bunch of ideas... many of which can exceed the "unusual" cash gift - which can help a lot and be much appreciated nevertheless.

Unfortunately all my long term CFI's had thousands of hours in everything I could imagine, and charged very good money for their services, so tipping them sometimes involved no other possibility than referrals...

I think every flight instructor appreciates to be asked for advise later on and for you to continue to take his/ her word later on, maybe when it's time for a new checkout or FR or simple training to keep sharp. Repeat business rocks! Doing it with someone you know and value makes it easier and more fun.

YES!! 15% Every flight!!

Honestly though, only been tipped once, I sure appreciated it and didn't turn it down, but I certainly don't expect it.

Bought my PPL instructor a nice Jepp chart holder. I think I might get my IR instructor something like a gift card.

For a few people that I was getting their IPC's, they would take me to lunch during an IFR XC. Like Roger, Roger said, food is always appreciated. :)

One of my private students gave me a Thanksgiving card with $40 in it. Greatly appreciated it.

I also did some Safety Piloting for a guy after I got him BFR'ed and he gave me a wonderful $100 and a nice "Merry Christmas".

I've been tipped once, by a very wealthy student I taught to fly the brand new airplane he bought before he had a PPL. $2000 and the loan of a brand new Rangey for a month.

Food, alcohol, and cash are always great tips, even though I don't expect them. Even lunch from McDonald's is a great gesture that goes a long way.

Tipping is never required or expected. It is, however, appreciated.

As others have said, taking your CFI out for lunch is always good, whether local or a $500 hamburger. Thoughtful little gifts are also nice, aviation-related or not. I've known CFIs to get tickets to games, gift certificates, cash, plane rides, tea boxes and, once, a nice, portable GPS unit.

As for me, I like to take my students out to lunch when they finish a rating--though they typically pick up the meals on cross-countries.

What an interesting contrast in attitudes on this subject between CFIs and airline pilots.

In a recent thread, it was suggested that airline pilots should get tips, and the resounding answer was that "professionals do not work for tips". That accepting tips would degrade the airline pilot to the level of a waitress, limo driver, or other somesuch unskilled laborer.

So, I find it of note that so many CFIs -- who always are quick to remind people that they, too, are professional aviators -- in this thread seem to be pro tips.

Getting a tip doesn't mean you just filled someone's water glass and brought them their steak and side of mashed potatoes...it means you went above and beyond and did a great job.

Just like tipping the hotel maid. :rolleyes:

-mini

What an interesting contrast in attitudes on this subject between CFIs and airline pilots.

In a recent thread, it was suggested that airline pilots should get tips, and the resounding answer was that "professionals do not work for tips". That accepting tips would degrade the airline pilot to the level of a waitress, limo driver, or other somesuch unskilled laborer.

So, I find it of note that so many CFIs -- who always are quick to remind people that they, too, are professional aviators -- in this thread seem to be pro tips.

Firstly, I don't think any CFIs expect tips. I've gotten two as a CFI and was surprised both times. More accurately, CFIs occasionally receive, "'Thank You' gifts." "Work for tips," is another beast, entirely.

Secondly, flight instruction is a one-on-one, personal service, something airline travel typically is not. As a student I felt the need to recognize the efforts of one of my instructors who went above-and-beyond to make my experience a good one. As an instructor, it's likewise nice to know your extra efforts are noticed and appreciated.

Point being: we're not comparing apples-to-apples here.

Finally, my impression is that the OP wants to get something for his instructor, but wanted to make sure doing so was okay and, if so, get an idea of what would be appropriate. You have consider our responses within the context of the question. In that sense, the thread title is misleading.

If you want to parse it more accurately: Does one tip a CFI? No. Is it okay to get your CFI something after completing a course of training to show your appreciation? Yes, though it is by no means expected.

I have been tipped a few times after doing discovery flights, but never from a full time student.

15% every flight.....I'd vote for that one! :rawk:

BEING A SERVER IS NOT DEGRADING! It is hard work! Granted, you don't need a degree to wait tables, but not everyone can do it! It is a hard job that you get paid $2.13 an hour for and people don't realize that. Yes, you may have a crappy server once in a while, but the ones that are good, are hard workers. :banghead: Servers deserve their tips, both large and small.

I think CFI's should absolutely be tiped. Its a service job and all services should be tiped. I never made a tip as a CFI though. I made more money and always got tiped as a ski instructor... go figure

Theres a difference between giving someone a ride and actually working with them and instructing them IMO. Its all about the personal interaction. For example, flying charter we get tips sometimes for going above and beyond, it was all about customer service... airline pilots simply lock themselves behind a reinforced door and fly the plane. big difference

Back