Do you know your history? (Part XXV)

Well the common thread between the two is Art Scholl.

However, the link here is only because he flew red, white, and blue Chipmunks with Pennzoil sponsorship.

Art was killed while filming for Top Gun when his Pitts went into a flat spin he failed to recover.

edit: ahh, took too long to type

Here is one of his Super Chipmunks

de%20Havilland%20DHC-1B-2%20Chipmunk-1.jpg

EPIC fail - Scholls Chipmunk was NOT Ranger powered.

Yes it was...

ENGINE CONVERSION: Fitment of a six cylinder inline Ranger 6-440C-5 engine of 200 hp and strengthening of the bulkhead area to cope with greater engine torque – with this engine the standard Chipmunk cowlings were retained with just small vents or humps for clearance being added. The nose cowling cooling inlet for the original Gipsy Major engine on the port side was faired over and converted to the starboard side. As the Ranger engine had no electrical starter unit a hand cranking facility was incorporated on the port side immediately aft of the cowling and a Kopper Aeromatic variable pitch propeller converted the power.

Damnit - now I can't find what engine was in Scholl's Super Chipmunks. One had retractable gear, one fixed. Had a big flat engine but not sure which. The Original Chip had a 145hp Gipsy.

Harold Krier also flew a Super Chipmunk in his later years.

Yes it was...

Yeah - but look lower:
ADDITIONAL MODIFICATIONS: The installation of a flat-opposed 6 cylinder Lycoming G0-435-C2 of 260 hp.@ 3400 rpm. with a new engine mount giving1½º downthrust and with 0º offset and a completely redesigned one piece cowling which fitted over the nose and required the removal of the prop to service the engine. The standard Chipmunk with Gipsy Major 145hp engine was never fitted with an inverted fuel system so a flop tube was installed in the starboard rubber bag tank of twelve gallon capacity, a Bendix PS-5BD ‘all attitudes’ pressure carburetor and an inverted Christen oil system completed this part of the conversion. Once again an Aeromatic air controlled wooden bladed propeller was used with an overall diameter of 150” with modified pitch settings. With the closely cowled engine there was no room to fit an oil cooler and this was installed in the fuselage behind the rear seat and cooling ducts fitted in the fuselage. The centre section of the fuselage also received attention with beefed-up spars (7075-T6 material and specification 4130 steel plates) and a modified (flatter) dihedral angle in order to help with inverted flight - the centre section control box area in the cockpit which had proven liable to cracking with harsh aerobatic use was also beefed-up with additional plates.

My original thought was that it was a Ranger, but then in looking at the pictures it sure looked like a flat motor. Seems I had read about Harold Krier's machine and that he had tried a Ranger but then went to a flat motor.

ADDITIONAL MODIFICATIONS: The installation of a flat-opposed 6 cylinder Lycoming G0-435-C2 of 260 hp.@ 3400 rpm.
Further down the same page.

Too late! And yeah, I didn't want to put up a picture of the standard super chipmunk paint scheme because I knew both of you would latch onto the answer way too quickly!

Well Ok, since you asked.

I worked line at a the big FBO in LIT in the mid seventies and one of the charter pilots bought an old Chipmunk. It was worn out stock with the inline engine.

He tore that thing apart and started back together. New 260 hp LYC and three blade prop. Clipped about five feet off of each wing, metalized whatever wasn't metal to start with. Really tricked it out. Lot's of days and nights, I would go help him drive rivets or whatever needed done.

He finally got it all done and I met him out at the little airport where he kept it.(KORK). ---We really have some messed up identifiers around Little Rock.---Anyway, I get strapped in the front and he's in the back. As soon as we lifted off the runway, he just held it there. We got down to the end of the strip and he hauled back on that thing and up,up,up,up we went. Felt like I was going to bust right out the bottom of that thing.

I looked back at the guy and he was laughing. We cruised on out to the "practice area" and he said "hang on". Now, I had been on enough airplane rides that I knew I didn't like to hear "hang on". Too late, he flipped that thing over and up we went in an outside loop. I thought I was going to die. My legs and arms were flying up, I felt like I was going to be ejected thru the canopy. I was wishing (1) That I had never met the guy (2) That I would of never worked on the plane and earned a ride and most importantly (3) I wished that I would have tightened the seat belt down a lot tighter. An ouside loop is a traumatic event if you're not used to it or expecting it. Did some rolls and loops and he asked how I was. I was to the point I couldn't talk, so I just pointed to home.

That was the last time I ever rode in that thing. Call me a wuss or whatever. That thing beat the snot out of me that day. I was glad when my quarter's worth ran out.

Those guys and girls who do that hardcore aerobatic stuff have my respect. Everytime I see a Chipmunk or see a performer do an outside loop, I think about that.

Back