Do you know your history? (Part XVII)

ctab5060X

1473-02.jpg

You know the drill...

Cast by the Dayton Foundry... Charley Taylor was the Wright's machinist?

The original 1903 engine had no fuel pump, oil pump, spark plugs, egr valves, catalytic converters or any of that mumbo jumbo... It did use magnetos and a super simple timing system of contacts driven off a cam shaft.

The next model, the 1904 engine was the same cast, but they added a fuel pump and an oil pump... am I getting closer or am I trying to pee on the third rail?

Cast by the Dayton Foundry... Charley Taylor was the Wright's machinist?

The original 1903 engine had no fuel pump, oil pump, spark plugs, egr valves, catalytic converters or any of that mumbo jumbo... It did use magnetos and a super simple timing system of contacts driven off a cam shaft.

The next model, the 1904 engine was the same cast, but they added a fuel pump and an oil pump... am I getting closer or am I trying to pee on the third rail?

FYI... its ie, not ey.

You could have stopped on the first senctence...

Who cares about the Wright Brothers... without Charlie Taylor, we would probably be singing the praises of Langley!

Ever had the privilege of seeing/hearing that engine run?

Damn my spelling! And hey, I care about the Wright brothers! And I care about Charlie Taylor! Without all parties collaborating, it wouldn't have been a successful flight.

I've heard the reproduction run, but only through TV. Have you heard it in person?

Damn my spelling! And hey, I care about the Wright brothers! And I care about Charlie Taylor! Without all parties collaborating, it wouldn't have been a successful flight.

I've heard the reproduction run, but only through TV. Have you heard it in person?

Up close.

The engine Charles Taylor built for the Wrights was 4 cylinders, weighed around 200lbs, displaced around 200 cubic inches and put out around 12 horsepower. In not too many years Continental would build the O-200, it's 4 cylinders, weighs around 200lbs, displaces 200 cubic inches, and puts out 100 horsepower ;)

if only we had kept up that level of progress...

and back then, like today, everyone only cares about the pilots... some things never change! ;)

I had just found that myself...

Wish that the camera I had back in 2003 was equipped with a video function. Need to round up some pictures from that trip.

The engine Charles Taylor built for the Wrights was 4 cylinders, weighed around 200lbs, displaced around 200 cubic inches and put out around 12 horsepower. In not too many years Continental would build the O-200, it's 4 cylinders, weighs around 200lbs, displaces 200 cubic inches, and puts out 100 horsepower ;)

if only we had kept up that level of progress...

and back then, like today, everyone only cares about the pilots... some things never change! ;)

The initial output of Charlie's engine was actually 16 hp when it was cold. It dropped to 12 when hot. The Wright's only needed 8 to fly.

Think that is something... check out this picture... That is Orville in 1941.

1941%20Orv%20and%20airplane%20engine.jpg
http://www.wright-brothers.org/History Images/1941 Orv and airplane engine.jpg

Back