Do you know your history? (Part XIII)

ctab5060X

What is it?

I will accept general identification, don't have to be super specific, uless you want to...

What did it first power?
First widespread application?
Most famous application?

1465-a.jpg

Isn't that a Merlin engine?

Hawker Hurricane?

P-51 Mustang?

Rolls Royce V-1650 Merlin. First flew in a Hawker biplane, most well known for being used in the P-51 mustang.

The early Merlin looked a lot different than that version too... different intake and different cylinder heads. Very interesting development history.

Isn't that a Merlin engine?

Hawker Hurricane?

P-51 Mustang?

It is a Merlin.

I'll accept the Hurricane as one of the first widespread applications, do you know the other?

Rolls Royce V-1650 Merlin. First flew in a Hawker biplane, most well known for being used in the P-51 mustang.

The early Merlin looked a lot different than that version too... different intake and different cylinder heads. Very interesting development history.

Again, yes it is a Merlin, specifically a Packard built Merlin. As far as the Merlin is concerned, the first application you have is a bit off.

There were several versions of the Rolls Royce V-12 engines before it was named the Merlin.

Still looking for what the Merlin... specifically the Merlin I first powered...

Fairey Battle?... or Hawker Hurricane maybe...

As a side note... if you're an air racer you're looking for a very rare, very specific merlin... what airplane used it and why do you want it?

from what I've read it flew that way too ;)

keep in mind that the early/vs. late Merlins had a huge difference in power output, and that aint a small airplane.

anyone want a stab at my extension to the question? ;)

anyone want a stab at my extension to the question? ;)

The only thing I can come up with this late is the Merlin 130/131 series.

2070 hp (highest rated Merlin)

Also was redesigned to give it a smaller frontal area.

Used in the de Havilland Hornet and Sea Hornet.

The only thing I can come up with this late is the Merlin 130/131 series.

2070 hp (highest rated Merlin)

Also was redesigned to give it a smaller frontal area.

Used in the de Havilland Hornet and Sea Hornet.

Believe it or not output is not an issue as most of the racing engines use Allison V-1710 connecting rods and specially designed/modified pistons.

Too obscure I suppose ;)

You would be looking for a 620 series merlin, also known as a "Transport Merlin."

They were built in small numbers for the Canadair North star, basically a DC-4 with Merlins instead of radials.

The transport Merlin, unlike the fighter and bomber versions had to run reliably in airline service for hours at a time, day in and day out and thus had a significantly beefed up crankcase, which is very very rare today and highly coveted by those seeking to build a merlin that will withstand 160 inches of manifold pressure and make over 3000 horsepower.

Too obscure I suppose ;)

You would be looking for a 620 series merlin, also known as a "Transport Merlin."

They were built in small numbers for the Canadair North star, basically a DC-4 with Merlins instead of radials.

The transport Merlin, unlike the fighter and bomber versions had to run reliably in airline service for hours at a time, day in and day out and thus had a significantly beefed up crankcase, which is very very rare today and highly coveted by those seeking to build a merlin that will withstand 160 inches of manifold pressure and make over 3000 horsepower.

Ah yes!

Obscure, but not that obscure...

I was thinking racing from an aerodynamic standpoint (thus the streamlined 130/131) rather than a mechanical (how much power can we make from this engine) standpoint.

Ah yes!

Obscure, but not that obscure...

I was thinking racing from an aerodynamic standpoint (thus the streamlined 130/131) rather than a mechanical (how much power can we make from this engine) standpoint.

You do have a good point. It's always better to tweak aerodynamics than try to brute force your way around them. I would bet that since transport Merlins are so rare now that aerodynamics plays a much bigger role in the future... if Reno survives that long I guess.

You do have a good point. It's always better to tweak aerodynamics than try to brute force your way around them. I would bet that since transport Merlins are so rare now that aerodynamics plays a much bigger role in the future... if Reno survives that long I guess.

I hope it does survive... it is still on my to do list (along with Oshkosh and Sun N Fun)

The 131 would be very useful if somebody got the bright idea to run the course backwards! :panic::crazy:

Back