Do you know your history? (part VIII)

darrenf

resident denizen
What is this? What is it powered by? Why is it significant? :D

0980422.jpg

Special thanks to Alex for the pic.

An airplane power by an engine that is equipped with a training wheel...

Did you really expect a serious answer? :D

<TABLE width=650 summary="This table charts the aircraft description"><CAPTION>

</CAPTION><TBODY><TR><TD>Serial Number</TD><TD></TD><TD>17273189 </TD><TD><TD>Type Registration</TD><TD></TD><TD>Corporation</TD></TR><TR><TD>Manufacturer Name</TD><TD></TD><TD>CESSNA </TD><TD></TD><TD>Certificate Issue Date</TD><TD></TD><TD>06/17/1986 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Model</TD><TD></TD><TD>172N </TD><TD></TD><TD>Status</TD><TD></TD><TD noWrap>Valid </TD></TR><TR><TD>Type Aircraft</TD><TD></TD><TD>Fixed Wing Single-Engine</TD><TD></TD><TD>Type Engine</TD><TD></TD><TD>Reciprocating </TD></TR><TR><TD>Pending Number Change</TD><TD></TD><TD>None </TD><TD></TD><TD>Dealer</TD><TD></TD><TD>No </TD></TR><TR><TD>Date Change Authorized</TD><TD></TD><TD>None <TD></TD><TD>Mode S Code</TD><TD></TD><TD>52042306 </TD></TR><TR><TD>MFR Year</TD><TD></TD><TD>1979 </TD><TD><TD>Fractional Owner</TD><TD></TD><TD>NO </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Detailed enough for you??

And I am gathering since you are in NJ, and the airplane is in NJ and part of a flying club, it is the one you learned to fly in/currently fly/ something like that... correct?

<table summary="This table charts the aircraft description" width="650"><caption>

</caption><tbody><tr><td>Serial Number</td><td>
</td><td>17273189 </td><td>
</td><td>Type Registration</td><td>
</td><td>Corporation</td></tr><tr><td>Manufacturer Name</td><td>
</td><td>CESSNA </td><td>
</td><td>Certificate Issue Date</td><td>
</td><td>06/17/1986 </td></tr><tr><td>Model</td><td>
</td><td>172N </td><td>
</td><td>Status</td><td>
</td><td nowrap="nowrap">Valid </td></tr><tr><td>Type Aircraft</td><td>
</td><td>Fixed Wing Single-Engine</td><td>
</td><td>Type Engine</td><td>
</td><td>Reciprocating </td></tr><tr><td>Pending Number Change</td><td>
</td><td>None </td><td>
</td><td>Dealer</td><td>
</td><td>No </td></tr><tr><td>Date Change Authorized</td><td>
</td><td>None </td><td>
</td><td>Mode S Code</td><td>
</td><td>52042306 </td></tr><tr><td>MFR Year</td><td>
</td><td>1979 </td><td>
</td><td>Fractional Owner</td><td>
</td><td>NO </td></tr></tbody></table>

Detailed enough for you??

And I am gathering since you are in NJ, and the airplane is in NJ and part of a flying club, it is the one you learned to fly in/currently fly/ something like that... correct?

You are a regular Sherlock Holmes. Good job my friend. Yes, I got my PPL and instrument in that plane.

A Cessna 172N powered by a Lycoming O-320-H2AD... quite possibly the worst engine ever built, well known for stripping the lobes off their cams on the delivery flight from the factory. Has an AD that needs compliance every 50 hours by adding an oil additive that supposedly keeps it from stripping its cam lobes off. ;)

Anyway it's not so bad an engine anymore, but anyone who's anyone does the Penn-Yan 180hp conversion ;)

A Cessna 172N powered by a Lycoming O-320-H2AD... quite possibly the worst engine ever built, well known for stripping the lobes off their cams on the delivery flight from the factory. Has an AD that needs compliance every 50 hours by adding an oil additive that supposedly keeps it from stripping its cam lobes off. ;)

Anyway it's not so bad an engine anymore, but anyone who's anyone does the Penn-Yan 180hp conversion ;)

The plane has been going to Penn Yan for engines as long as we have owned it. (About 20 years).

The only significance I can muster, besides the obvious ctab comment, is that it was before a 172 cost more than a 747

...another question...

Why is that POS blocking the view of a real airplane? ;)

Thanks for all the compliments guys, yeah she's pretty. I haven't flown her since she got painted. I usually use our 182. For old times sake, I might take her down the along the beach some time this summer.

I completely missed the 172 in the foreground...was looking at the Pacer in the background and assumed that IT was the subject of the thread...

Seriously, nice looking machine. I agree that the paint scheme "fits" that airplane particularly well.

One question I have had. If I called Cessna or Beech and ordered a new piston single, but specified polished aluminum with trim paint, would they do it that way?

I completely missed the 172 in the foreground...was looking at the Pacer in the background and assumed that IT was the subject of the thread...

Seriously, nice looking machine. I agree that the paint scheme "fits" that airplane particularly well.

One question I have had. If I called Cessna or Beech and ordered a new piston single, but specified polished aluminum with trim paint, would they do it that way?

Pay them enough, and you can probably get whatever you want. :)

Back