"Do you have a VFR GPS on board?"

N519AT

Ahh! This is how I change this!
Anyone get asked this while flying a non GPS/FMS airplane IFR?

I'm flying a Cessna 150 that is /U and I've been asked this question a number of times now. I told them yes, because I do have a Garmin 496 on board. After I said that, they cleared me direct to my destination airport when I was still 150nm away. I declined the clearance electing to stay on the airways...but I was wondering if it is even legal to accept the clearance and go direct to your destination with a VFR GPS as the sole navigation device while IFR. In IMC?

i'm probably wrong, so don't quote me on this, but I always thought a gps had to be IFR certified only if you were going to be doing gps approaches.

My understanding of it is that if you have backup navigation (VOR) then you can navigate en route to your destination using a VFR only GPS. It's a gray area but you can do it. My company files direct most of the time even though we are /U, and I have talked with the FAA about it and they say it's legit as long as I check my position to a VOR every hour.

You can also file your route along airways, then ask for a direct heading of "244" cause that is what your GPS says then fly that. But however you do it, it's legal as long as you don't use it for approaches or terminal areas.

Anyone get asked this while flying a non GPS/FMS airplane IFR?

I'm flying a Cessna 150 that is /U and I've been asked this question a number of times now. I told them yes, because I do have a Garmin 496 on board. After I said that, they cleared me direct to my destination airport when I was still 150nm away. I declined the clearance electing to stay on the airways...but I was wondering if it is even legal to accept the clearance and go direct to your destination with a VFR GPS as the sole navigation device while IFR. In IMC?

If you lost a signal they would have to vecrot you to the airport using radar and other means of navigation. if your gps does not have raim which most vfr gps's do not you wouldnt have an indication of a lost signal or your first indication would be the gps being inop and you would have to use other means of navigation granted that you are in range of navaids. so your descision was a good one. gps information is in the AIM.
they will be able to give you minimum vectoring altitude for obstical clearance and keep you away from traffic just like if you were closer to an airport and they were vectoring you. but if you could avoid the situation like you did i would have.

Yea the whole heading direct thing and then following the GPS is about all I can see it legal for.

Yea the whole heading direct thing and then following the GPS is about all I can see it legal for.

Just report in that you are on an assigned heading when you move to another sector. It's all good...to a point.

The problem is course v. heading and great circle, long distances.

Kinda funny, but all of our 1900's were /a. It we did the routes so many times that we could get there pretty much via bird navigation. So we always asked for a 055 heading until able direct spruce head... etc.

heading to the closest point, and then go :)

Though this situation is not completely clear in here, AIM 1-1-19. Not enough people read about the technology they use the most.

I actually had the same question once and spoke with the FAA....Got the same answer the great Mojo just gave.

Back