Do you ever think...

Having aircraft equipped for CATIIIc approaches isn't the hard part....training the crews are the hard part!!!

Also, I think people are underestimating the power and precision of GPS....it is far more accurate than any ground-based navigation system (including CATIII ILS equipment...), and there's no need for silly "ILS critical areas...". A truck driving by won't make a GPS reciever do funky things, and in the rare case of a sunspot or solar flare, there's actually a GOOD RAIM indicator on a GPS reciever. So, it's actually possible to have aircraft land at smaller airports, using the technology of the ILS combined with GPS technology (augmented with new technologies being introduced every day).

Don't get me wrong...I don't want it to happen any more than the next guy....but it will be possible in the future, if not readily accepted by the traveling public.

[ QUOTE ]
Hello Rob,

Great...now your giving me flashbacks of Johnny Cab in the Movie "Total Recall" !

total_recall_video_johnny_cab.jpg

JR

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey JR....GET YOUR ASS TO MARS!

[ QUOTE ]
but pal you forgot we are talking about an airplane and not a computer lab where we put in topologies of networks and boost up the multitasking.

So these things are going to take not less than 150 years until everything is invented...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, 'bud', you apparently forgot that the original question was about whether a single pilot could fly an airliner, assuming enough computer assistance was there.

Ahh well... who knows what the future holds!

As long as there are paying passengers on board, FAA certification of pilotless airplane would probably be way to expensive to be cost effective.

Back