Do pilots have a boss?

What do you call these pants guys wear halfway down their ass nowadays, and only go halfway to the ankle - "longs" ???

[ QUOTE ]
What do you call these pants guys wear halfway down their ass nowadays, and only go halfway to the ankle - "longs" ???

[/ QUOTE ]uhhh.... LOWRIDERS - DUH! but they're also "pants"...

HAHA
grin.gif

/againbackontopic

[ QUOTE ]
BWWAHHHHHAHAHAHAHA... *Mr. Evil laff*
grin.gif
laugh.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]That's DOCTOR Evil ... I didn't spend six years in Evil Medical School to be called Mister, OK? Throw me a friggin' bone here, I've been frozen for thirty years, people.

</Austin Powers flashback>

FL270

I don't know about that. Would you wear your boxers out in public? Probably not. If you would, I don't want to hear about it.

If you can't wear them out in public, they're not pants.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BWWAHHHHHAHAHAHAHA... *Mr. Evil laff*
grin.gif
laugh.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]That's DOCTOR Evil ... I didn't spend six years in Evil Medical School to be called Mister, OK? Throw me a friggin' bone here, I've been frozen for thirty years, people.

</Austin Powers flashback>

FL270

[/ QUOTE ]See - I KNEW someone would find that and quote it! that's what i was waiting for... haha
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I realize everybody has a boss, and pilots are no different, but in reality, do they have a boss when they are at work? That to me would be one of the most appealing things, just go to work, do your job, and go home. No boss looking over your shoulder all the time. Perhaps some of you working pilots can futher explain how it works when it comes to what contact you have with a superior on a daily basis?

[/ QUOTE ]

We've got a 'boss' per se, which is the chief pilot.

I've met my DFW chief pilot once, the one in ATL never (both times being based there) and only saw the one in MCO once when I was trying to get some friends hired.

As a pilot, you're more or less 'self-regulated' to a large extent.

The weather is your boss.
And just like any boss, your job is to maneuver around your boss so that you can get the job done!

Lately I've felt like the character in the movie Office Space. As a flight instructor, I've had several Bob's telling me what to do. Aside from my regular boss, there's chief flight instructors, (coworkers who think they are boss), the all knowing FAA, and could we label grumpy sdl controllers as a boss! Perhaps! Flying is fun but it's a job--with bosses who often don't know what's best but think they do! Like any other job.

[ QUOTE ]
"Airline Food Chain" (for a typical regional)

Company CEO
Company President
VP of Operations
Director of Operations (FAA required position)
Director of Flight Ops
Chief Pilot (FAA required position)
Asst. Chief Pilot (also Regional Chief Pilot)
Captain
First Officer
Lead Flight Attendant (Purser at some airlines, notably AA)
Flight Attendant

Side Lobes who think they can tell pilots what to do:
Dispatchers
Crew Schedulers
Training
Gate Agents
Ramp Agents
Mechanics
Fuelers
Caterers
Passengers

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to go WAY back on this post, but if that is the general structure where does the regular HR office fit into all of that. I understand that the CP is likely the one that will ultimatly hire (and if nessicary fire) you, but what sort of say does HR have. Do they give the CP a number of slots and then let them run or do they have some say in the hiring as well? Obvisouly this will vary from company to company, but in a general sense how does that work?

Ethan

At many airlines the HR department hires you, but at all airlines I have been involved with, that's when your relationship with them ends. After you are hired, the HR can only touch you if something bad comes up on your background check.

Some CP's make the hiring decision, but most leave it to HR.

Back