Do I need an Aviation Degree to be hired at the majors?

Actually I believe that Delta Airlines is the only US airline that requires it's pilot applicants to have a degree at the time of filling out the application and interview. I might be wrong (but doubt it) but I'd say that Doug might be the final word on this.

Interesting true story:

Last week at work we had American Airlines 767-300 pilot wanting to jumpseat on our airline Delta. I told him that I wanted to be a 757/767 pilot. We started talking for a min. and he said that he loves flying both aircraft. but he prefers the 767 to the 757. He said Delta is a great airline he said if he was younger and could do it all over again he'd definately fly for Delta his co-pilot agreed with him and he said he knows alot of people (pilots) who wanted to work for Delta there (dream airline) but never heard back from them after an interview or after submitting an app. And afterwards they got hired with American. The captain went on to say that Delta truly is the industry leader and better then most other airlines....I couldn't agree more

[ QUOTE ]
Actually I believe that Delta Airlines is the only US airline that requires it's pilot applicants to have a degree at the time of filling out the application and interview.

[/ QUOTE ]

A quick check shows that Southwest and Fedex require a four year degree also. While I'm not sure about Northwest, Continental, AA and UPS, I do believe that they also require a 4 year degree. It's a pretty fair bet that for most of the major airlines, a four year degree is a requirement and for those that don't require a 4 year degree, you are at a competitive disadvantage if you don't have one.

Actually, I've got SWA's minimums tacked to my board right here next to me in my office (call it my "inspiration"). I printed them directly off of SWA's site last week and it says - verbatim:

<font color="brown">Education:
Graduation from accreditied, four-year college PREFERRED </font> .

(Emphasis added)

It doesn't say "mandatory"... but, that's neither here nor there -

GET THE DEGREE!

R2F

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't say "mandatory"... but, that's neither here nor there -

GET THE DEGREE!

R2F

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right on both counts my friend. My bad.

GET THE DEGREE!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
call it my "inspiration"

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, RTF...sometimes I just go out to BNA and sit.....watching the Southwest flights land (7 out of 10 flights into BNA.....), thinking to myself, "One Day....I'll for a real profit-turning airlines that sets the trends"!!!!!!

Then some "big-name" major comes along, burning tax-payer dollars in loaned gas....messes up my whole day!!!
grin.gif

Here here MTSU! I like to go to dinner at the "International Mall" here in Tampa because it overlooks TPA and a couple of the restaraunts have patios (decks? Lanai? porches? whatever) that face the SWA gates.

My wife gets a "kick" out of my drooling when she's trying to have a convesation with me and I'm like "oooooh - airpane airpane!!!! heeheeheeheee - weeeeee airpane! That's a 737, baby!!! Weeee"
wink.gif

LOL...yeah, I've learned that it's not the best way to make a first impression on a date...

"So, sweet-thang, what do you say we go eat at the airport and see who can guess the what airline each approaching plane is the quickest...."

LOSER!!!!!...
smirk.gif

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Yup - that's why I waited to spring the aviation thing on `er until she was already in it lock stock and barrel.
wink.gif

Back