Do airlines really care?

AA

Do airlines really care if you just attend a four year college, non aviation related? Or does it make you look better during the application process to have a aviation major from an aviation school? What I have heard so far is all they care about is you having a four year degree of some sort. For instance, if it came down to you and another guy in an interview for a major airline, and you both have the same amount of flying time, but the guy next to you has an aviation degree and you dont, and he went to a flying school for college, and you didn't, they would most likely choose him over you, right? Any help would be great!

Before I say anything you should know that I do not work for an airline, so take my advice with discretion. I chose not to get an airline related degree to give myself a backup if for some reason, and there are lots of them, that this career just never comes to fruition. With that said, I majored in Political Science. Unfortunately, the Political Science companies aren’t hiring right now either. What the hell was I thinking!!!
confused.gif

As for your competition with aviation degree guys, I would put my money on the guy with great reccomendations form within the company and an outstanding attitude rather than what degree he has.

Hope this helps. Read about Doug's route on the homepage, lots of answers on there.

AA,

It doesn’t make a hill a’ beans difference what your degree is in… Just get one!

With that being said, when you choose what you want to major in make sure it’s A. something you will enjoy, and B. marketable. For example, if you run off and get a degree in Philosophy, or underwater, inverted basket weaving with one hand tied behind your back, are you going to be able to actually use it if the flying gig doesn’t work out??

---underwater, inverted basket weaving with one hand tied behind your back---

Geez, that must be the Masters degree program at Nebraska. I knew they had underwater basketweaving for all their football players but i didnt realize they moved on with it.

[ QUOTE ]
---underwater, inverted basket weaving with one hand tied behind your back---

Geez, that must be the Masters degree program at Nebraska. I knew they had underwater basketweaving for all their football players but i didnt realize they moved on with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bachelors= Underwater Basket Weaving.

Masters= Underwater Basket Weaving while inverted.

Doctorate= Underwater Basket Weaving while inverted with one hand tied behind your back.

I think it's time for me to go to bed...
grin.gif

Your degree is (in addition to fullfilment of airline requirements) somewhat of a backup to your aviation career. Pick something you are interrested in. Decide what you would major in if you didn't want to fly for a living. Perhaps it is still aviation as there are a few (not many but a few) careers that would use such a degree. Major in whatever you can see yourself doing as a career, and don't be afraid to change your major. Just don't change it too many times becasue that will make you look uncommitted and indecisive. I changed my major from bilogy to computer information system. Unfortunately it took me 5 years to graduate but I feel it was worth it because I discovered that I love computers.

Whoah there Buffalo Boy! As I sit here drinking from my Husker mug I might take that as an invitation to a rumble!

Back