DME Arc Obstacle Clearance

FlyHigh423

Hello,

I was just curious about the obstacle clearance for a DME Arc. From what I have found it appears to be the same as an airway ( 4 NM either side, 1,000 ft normal/2,000 ft mountainous). However, I know some arcs turn into the final approach segment or have descents so I was wondering what the other cases would be of when it would be less clearance than what I listed?

Thanks!

Arcs are usually part of an approach or departure procedure, so to find specifics about obstacle clearance you would need to dig into TERPS, the FAA's rule book for building terminal procedures.

Or PANS OPS if you are flying a procedure designed virtually everywhere else on the planet. ;-)

Hello,

I was just curious about the obstacle clearance for a DME Arc. From what I have found it appears to be the same as an airway ( 4 NM either side, 1,000 ft normal/2,000 ft mountainous). However, I know some arcs turn into the final approach segment or have descents so I was wondering what the other cases would be of when it would be less clearance than what I listed?

Thanks!
From what I remember from my copy of the TERPs was like you said, 4NM each side of centerline, with 1000 feet in the primary area and 500 feet which I believe tapers to 0 feet in the secondary area.....I think the secondary area begins at at 4 NM and ends at 6NM... I will have to look. I was surprised at the amount of protected airspace there was, I remember that for sure! Especially considereing what the PTS says. Been awhile since I did CFII work. I gave away a lot my instructor materials when In stopped instructing full time so another guy coming up the ranks has my stuff. I wish John Ecklabar, Rod Machado, or some other aviation stalwart would publish a "TERPs for Dummies", because the actual TERPs document, though highly informative, could use some primping, 'splainin, and frankly, dumbing down for dummies like meh!!! Oh, and lots of pictures!

Back