DME ARC Help

Tbrown

You are setting up for an approach, tower says "Maintain 6k, you are cleared for the ILS RWY25, Report established.
The Approach has a 14DME arc that has a published altitude of 5k, and the ILS also has a published altitude of 5k. When are you allowed to descend from 6k to 5k?...You are just entering the Arc.
confused.gif

Yep, descend once you're on the arc. You're cleared for the approach, so you maintain your last assigned altitude until you're on a published approach segment, i.e. the arc.

ditto RiddlePilot.

Maintain assigned altitude until cleared for an approach and then comply with a published approach segment.

Innocent TWA passengers in the 1970's paid with their lives in order for us to have this this simple clarification.

TWA 514 for reference.

I'll add one to the ARC questions:

I sure wish I had a link to the actual Jepp chart, but I'll do my best to describe it. Butte, Montana has a VOR approach with GPS overlay. There's a 7nm Arc that leads to the final approach course. The IAF on the arc lies on a Victor airway, but is represented with the RNAV cross instead of the triangle (the fix is NOT depicted on the low enroute chart). If you're tooling along the airway and are "cleared approach, Butte airport" can you join the arc if you are NOT GPS equipped?

[ QUOTE ]
I'll add one to the ARC questions:

I sure wish I had a link to the actual Jepp chart, but I'll do my best to describe it. Butte, Montana has a VOR approach with GPS overlay. There's a 7nm Arc that leads to the final approach course. The IAF on the arc lies on a Victor airway, but is represented with the RNAV cross instead of the triangle (the fix is NOT depicted on the low enroute chart). If you're tooling along the airway and are "cleared approach, Butte airport" can you join the arc if you are NOT GPS equipped?

[/ QUOTE ]Not Jepp, but this should help:
http://www.myairplane.com/databases/approach/NorthWest/BTM_v_gB.pdf

If that's the one you are talking about, I don't understand your question. Looks pretty straight-forward from a VOR standpoint. The IAF NUNZO is defined by the CPN R-027 and 7 DME. So, if you're on the airway coming from the northeast and cleared for the approach, you fly to the fix and turn right to join the arc.

Is it a different approach or is it shown differently o the Jepp?

Looks to me like you should be okay w/o the GPS. NUNZU can be identified using the DME and the radial. Is there a Jepp area chart that has Butte on it? Sometimes they will put fixes on the area charts but not the enroute charts.

Does anyone know how to post pdf files. I have the IAP chart on my computer, just wondering how I would go about posting it?

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know how to post pdf files. I have the IAP chart on my computer, just wondering how I would go about posting it?

[/ QUOTE ]You put it up on a web site that you control and then point to it.

If you want, email it to me and if it's different from the NACO version, I'll put it up somewhere.

Seems pretty straightforward. When cleared for the approach, assuming I could fly this IAP, I'd plan a right turn at 10 miles when inbound on the 027 for the arc, descend to 9000 when established and continue from there. Jepp may very well put a waypoint symbol there for the overlay portion of the IAP, but the arc/radial intersection is still defined for the VOR portion.

Yes, the waypoint NUNZU is depicted differently on the Jepp. It's a star/cross RNAV type fix instead of the standard triangle.

Thanks for the responses. You just keep learning in this industry!

Back