Diversion with ground stop after landing.

Is it where I was supposed to land, or am I diverting into said airport?

Regardless, if it’s an airport near the Rocky Mountains, than for me it’s an outstation. Since it’s not a hub for us, our gates will be open. If it’s a divert, I will coordinate with dispatch to go to one of our hubs or out stations where the company can handle us. You don’t just pick any old airport and land, then call the company and say, “SURPRISE! We landed at an airport that you had no idea we were going to, and no way to service the airplane. Figure it out!”

It’s not rocket surgery people. Follow your company guidance for diverting and extended ground ops. Two in, two out. If your company doesn’t have a plan codified or even available, then you get buffoonery.
We get it, you're superior. You still didn't answer the question though. Whether or not you were supposed to land there is not relevant, you did.
Fight! Fight!

We get it, you're superior. You still didn't answer the question though. Whether or not you were supposed to land there is not relevant, you did.

You don’t seem to get it. I would not put myself in that position in the first place. It has nothing to do with being superior. I’m not sure why some people can’t seem to understand that. If you’re proactive enough, you don’t end up in an untenable situation.

But, in your scenario. Obviously the airport has been going down for awhile. Any flight over one hour, I would be monitoring the situation and divert early if warranted, to a field that is open and capable of handling the aircraft. Is it an online airport. Is it capable of handling 150 passengers at once. Doesn’t your airline have a divert plan and procedure in your FOM to follow?

If it’s shorter flight, under 1 hour, I wouldn’t take off in the first place. That’s what captain’s authority is. Making the unpopular decisions in spite of what the company wants.

You don’t seem to get it. I would not put myself in that position in the first place. It has nothing to do with being superior. I’m not sure why some people can’t seem to understand that. If you’re proactive enough, you don’t end up in an untenable situation. But, in your scenario. Obviously the airport has been going down for awhile. Any flight over one hour, I would be monitoring the situation and divert early if warranted, to a field that is open and capable of handling the aircraft. Is it an online airport. Is it capable of handling 150 passengers at once. Doesn’t your airline have a divert plan and procedure in your FOM to follow? If it’s shorter flight, under 1 hour, I wouldn’t take off in the first place. That’s what captain’s authority is. Making the unpopular decisions in spite of what the company wants.

The flight was around 3 hours, the snow was supposed to be very light but ended up being worse than forecast, which we were aware of, but we had no warning that the airport would be such a disaster and we landed in the middle of it.

So you're saying that can't happen to you?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The flight was around 3 hours, the snow was supposed to be very light but ended up being worse than forecast, which we were aware of, but we had no warning that the airport would be such a disaster and we landed in the middle of it.

So you're saying that can't happen to you?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

If it’s a hub for my airline, then I expect the dispatcher to know what is going on in the backyard and keep us posted accordingly.

If it’s an outstation, then we are expected and our gate should be open. If it’s not, then I expect ACS to keep dispatch updated on availability.

I do my job, I expect and hold other divisions to do theirs.

If I cannot get the correct answers to my questions, then I will tell the company of my intention to divert. That sets off all kinds of alarms within OCC and gets me the answers I seek.

In your situation, it sounds like it was a failure of your ACS, OCC, and dispatcher to stay on top of the situation. Can they be overwhelmed by events? I’m sure they were. Sometimes it’s a big turd sandwich and you have to take a bite.

As for popping a slide to stop the clock? I would not do that. I’d tell the company to figure out how they are going to get us a gate or hard stand, or tell the CEO to break out the checkbook.

Is it where I was supposed to land, or am I diverting into said airport?

Regardless, if it’s an airport near the Rocky Mountains, than for me it’s an outstation. Since it’s not a hub for us, our gates will be open. If it’s a divert, I will coordinate with dispatch to go to one of our hubs or out stations where the company can handle us. You don’t just pick any old airport and land, then call the company and say, “SURPRISE! We landed at an airport that you had no idea we were going to, and no way to service the airplane. Figure it out!”

It’s not rocket surgery people. Follow your company guidance for diverting and extended ground ops. Two in, two out. If your company doesn’t have a plan codified or even available, then you get buffoonery.
I'm glad your dispatchers are that on top of things. Not all of them are...

Last edited:
What's scary that someone in a regional management position decided that blowing a slide is far, far cheaper than paying a fine of $1million per passenger on that flight, and then told the operational command center/dispatch/pilot to go ahead and blow the slide.

What's MORE scary is the PIC decided to go along with it!

That is NOT a good safety culture.

As Cptnchia said, I wouldn't get into a situation like that in the first place. But if I was in this hypothetical situation, I would NOT blow the slides to 'help' the company mitigate the situation financially. It's downright scary that the PIC of this regional flight decided to listen and blow the slide.

Cptnchia said:
As for popping a slide to stop the clock? I would not do that. I’d tell the company to figure out how they are going to get us a gate or hard stand, or tell the CEO to break out the checkbook.

Thank you. That is the only legitimate response to this scenario.

Last edited:
Back