Diversion with ground stop after landing.

A1TAPE

You are flying to your destination when you go missed and decide to divert to your alternate. When you land, the airport tells you "XYZ 1234 hold short of A on Z." When you inquire about how long they are gonna hold you there they say "not sure but we will call when you are good to taxi" Fast forward a few hours and its now been 2 hours and 45 minutes on the ground. You shut the engines off and are running the apu to keep the pax happy but they are annoyed regardless. You then get the DING DONG from your EICAS with FMC MSG. You look and its from the dispatcher. This is what it says.
2596ce2b-01d7-474f-b491-d6de3894942b-jpeg.41167

Now seeing this and knowing that management must be pretty desperate to have pressured you dispatcher to tell you to pop slides and evacute due to you almost timing out the 3 hour DOT rule WHAT WOULD YOU DO?? *this actually happened to one airline earlier this year. Heres what they did, what would you do.

40b3afd9-7c5e-4cc0-95d9-019d78731bf4-jpeg.41168

WHAT WOULD YOU DO??

more info can be found here: http://news3lv.com/news/local/passe...-diverted-to-mccarran-on-houston-to-la-flight

First, I don’t speculate on what other airlines do or did. I follow my company’s delay mitigation plan, which prevents this sort of thing.

Second, if the dispatcher has done their job right and coordinated with ACS, there won’t be a delay in parking at the divert field.

First, I don’t speculate on what other airlines do or did. I follow my company’s delay mitigation plan, which prevents this sort of thing.

Second, if the dispatcher has done their job right and coordinated with ACS, there won’t be a delay in parking at the divert field.

Okay but what would you do if this situation arose? Pull the chute and evacuate or deal with it another way?

Okay but what would you do if this situation arose? Pull the chute and evacuate or deal with it another way?
For the record, they didn't evacuate. To reset the dot 3 you just have provide a means for pax to get off. Also, this topic was beaten TO DEATH in that airline's board on the other site. People are raising it from the dead now because?

Ohhh because of atl... I get it.

Anyway, the general consensus from those employed at this airline was that it was a very poor decision on management's part, it was a VERY poor position to put the crew in, and that a dot 3 issue is a valid reason for Declaring.

Ok, let me ‘splain it to you Lucy. I WOULD NOT LET IT DEVELOP TO THIS POINT. I get paid large chedda to use that captain stuff to actively manage situations and mitigate them before buffoonery is required. #Tier1!

And yet this airline did. Playing devils advocate here how would you have know the airport you were diverting to had a groundstop with full gates? ATC inquirey or would you hope dispatch informed you about oh by the way you dont wanna land in vegas, theres a ground stop.

And yet this airline did. Playing devils advocate here how would you have know the airport you were diverting to had a groundstop with full gates? ATC inquirey or would you hope dispatch informed you about oh by the way you dont wanna land in vegas, theres a ground stop.

A. Buffoonery. Compass. Nuff said.
B. It is the dispatcher’s job to know this stuff when I call about diverting. Do your job, and I can do mine.

I get that its there job but what I dont get is how did they let it get this far? Im gessing someone from management made the call to send that ACARS popping the slides.

It happened. How? Who cares. Old history. How about focusing on becoming a dispatcher first than trying to second guess an old event.

Sorry just can't belive this actually happened. I was thinking oh I bet an airline would go as a far as to evacuate the plane to avoid the fine /sarcasm. I was surprised when I found out it happened for real.

Sorry just can't belive this actually happened. I was thinking oh I bet an airline would go as a far as to evacuate the plane to avoid the fine /sarcasm. I was surprised when I found out it happened for real.
Imma point out one more time... They did NOT evacuate. They just blew the slide.

Well whats the point of blowing the slide then if you are not going to use it? Was it just to say to the DOT umm stop the clock we gave the pax a way out only they had to go down a slide IF they wanted to exit the plane.

Well whats the point of blowing the slide then if you are not going to use it? Was it just to say to the DOT umm stop the clock we gave the pax a way out only they had to go down a slide IF they wanted to exit the plane.

Based on what we were told, Yes. They blew it to reset the DOT3 with no intention of using it. Not the wisest of ideas but hey, they sent the cavalry, which included air stairs.

So back in 2001/2002, New Year’s Eve or thereabouts ATL was gridlocked due to snow and lack of de-icing equipment. Dozens of DAL jets on the taxiway for 8 hours plus. We landed and went to our gate. Company de-ice on the gate; push and go; all inside an hour. Did someone say Tier 1? ;)

Ok, let me ‘splain it to you Lucy. I WOULD NOT LET IT DEVELOP TO THIS POINT. I get paid large chedda to use that captain stuff to actively manage situations and mitigate them before buffoonery is required. #Tier1!
Okay, so you land somewhere near the mountains which are rocky. It was 85 degrees yesterday and unexpectedly snowing heavily today, they don't have deice crews or enough tow teams to clear gates since flights are cancelling by the dozen.

Wait for a gate is 3 hours and increasing.

Tell us your captain stuff, please.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Okay, so you land somewhere near the mountains which are rocky. It was 85 degrees yesterday and unexpectedly snowing heavily today, they don't have deice crews or enough tow teams to clear gates since flights are cancelling by the dozen. Wait for a gate is 3 hours and increasing. Tell us your captain stuff, please. Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Not to mention nobody on the internet knows the full story of what they tried to do or what went down.

Not to mention nobody on the internet knows the full story of what they tried to do or what went down.
Some have a general idea. Like I said the crew was put in a bad position during Ann extremely bad situation.

The bottom line is this... However tier 1 you are you only have so many diversion options, and there's only so many ways you can yell at pops to get you a gate... What ever your ground delay program says.

Okay, so you land somewhere near the mountains which are rocky. It was 85 degrees yesterday and unexpectedly snowing heavily today, they don't have deice crews or enough tow teams to clear gates since flights are cancelling by the dozen.

Wait for a gate is 3 hours and increasing.

Tell us your captain stuff, please.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Is it where I was supposed to land, or am I diverting into said airport?

Regardless, if it’s an airport near the Rocky Mountains, than for me it’s an outstation. Since it’s not a hub for us, our gates will be open. If it’s a divert, I will coordinate with dispatch to go to one of our hubs or out stations where the company can handle us. You don’t just pick any old airport and land, then call the company and say, “SURPRISE! We landed at an airport that you had no idea we were going to, and no way to service the airplane. Figure it out!”

It’s not rocket surgery people. Follow your company guidance for diverting and extended ground ops. Two in, two out. If your company doesn’t have a plan codified or even available, then you get buffoonery.

Regardless, if it’s an airport near the Rocky Mountains, than for me it’s an outstation. Since it’s not a hub for us, our gates will be open. If it’s a divert, I will coordinate with dispatch to go to one of our hubs or out stations where the company can handle us. You don’t just pick any old airport and land, then call the company and say, “SURPRISE! We landed at an airport that you had no idea we were going to, and no way to service the airplane. Figure it out!”

It’s not rocket surgery people. Follow your company guidance for diverting and extended ground ops. Two in, two out. If your company doesn’t have a plan codified or even available, then you get buffoonery.

We get it, you're superior. You still didn't answer the question though. Whether or not you were supposed to land there is not relevant, you did.

This incident was not the result of lack of communication on the crew's part.

Back