Dispatching with a dui?

Shock-Diamonds

Hey, everyone. I have a question about regulation and a DUI, as far a dispatch is considered. I know pilots must notify the FAA within 60 days, and it can be tough getting a job after one, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to how it might impact being a dispatcher? I'm not really sure if the regulations are specifically for pilots or all federal airmen. Any info would be great, thanks.

Well the job does NOT require a medical however most airlines apps ask if you have ever had a misdemeanor/felony/dmv violations. THAT is where you would put the info about the DUI.

While there is no medical, there is still a license dispatchers carry that is from the FAA. I would recommend referencing your company's specific policies or inquire with your compliance department. At the very least, make sure your legal for your shift and if you need help, reach out, many companies offer "no harm, no foul (unless you get caught)" services for this type of thing.

Dispatch is not only a safety sensitive position but also one of the more important jobs at an airline. You are being entrusted with a lot of responsibility and have a lot of assets you manage on a daily basis. A DUI can show
a pattern of behavior or risk taking an airline doesnt want.

Getting hired by a regional shouldnt be a problem but it could be for a major especially with so many people applying for jobs. Its an easy way for an HR system to throw out your app when filtering out different candidates. Hundreds of people apply for each major opening.

What about a wreckless operation charge?
Though not listed on the aforementioned list in 49 CFR 1544.229, it would depend on how LONG ago it was. If it was more than a decade ago; if you have lived responsibly since then; that would work in your favor.

I know someone who got hired at WN with a DUI on his record. Not sure how old the DUI was so it seems it wasn't an issue for this individual or the company.

I know someone who got hired at WN with a DUI on his record. Not sure how old the DUI was so it seems it wasn't an issue for this individual or the company.

Heh, worked with a Dispatcher many years ago at a very busy regional who had a felony conviction for Masked Armed Robbery that was outside the timeline (I believe it had been 20+ years since convicted) whether he disclosed it or not, I don’t know. What I do know was he was hired, AND got a SITA badge (at A BRAVO airport).....so FWIW......

Peace...

Back