Dispatcher Question

Scarebus

Just curious - how often do you read the remarks on the release? Pretty often someone will call with a question about something that was already explained in the remarks. Even more often crews will overfuel themselves without looking at the weights and the giant remark ******PLANNED TO MAX LDG WEIGHT******

Just curious - how often do you read the remarks on the release? Pretty often someone will call with a question about something that was already explained in the remarks. Even more often crews will overfuel themselves without looking at the weights and the giant remark ******PLANNED TO MAX LDG WEIGHT******
I always read them. That’s one of the first things I was taught by line captains when I started as a FO. It was also said repeatedly during upgrade training. Is it newer guys/gals that are not reading the notes? It may be that they’re rushing, or it needs to be something that’s reminded during upgrade training.

100% of the time when I ran my own ship.

With @Nark, I’ll read them and go “hey mate, y’all see that, your airworthiness sir?” And I’m sure the answer will be “you bet I did, probie!”

Also you must work for SKW - overfueling themselves! Horse hockey!

Every flight. You can't really miss it, I mean it's right there on page 1 staring at you.

Every flight. You can't really miss it, I mean it's right there on page 1 staring at you.
Less is more for remarks. If they’re not remarkable then why are they stored under remarks?

I don’t want to be told the RAIM Check works every flight, nor do I need the auto-attendant number every flight, and I knew full well max ops altitude was 370, reference FOIB-whatever.

Useful remarks include “planned to max landing weight,” “precautionary alternate added due to no confidence in TAF,” “have a great day, Captain” or anything that Joe D.L.S. had to say regarding the weather.

I always go through the remarks but the biggest problem with remarks are the canned ones for certain airports. As an example "LAX can not receive early departures, plan to T/O with an ETA within 5 minutes of scheduled Arrival!" or "Request South approach into LAX for parking purposes." I don't really care about these when I'm departing LAX. And this is from two different companies.

I rarely see anything in the remarks that is overly useful beyond notes for MEL requirements. Most of the time there are no remarks at my airline.

Back