Dispatcher Pros and Cons

av8r

I have recently discovered the dispatch career and am interested to hear from current dispatchers what you think about your job. What do you like best (other than the travel benefits)? What do you like the least? Do you like the people you work with? What is your boss or supervisor like? Do you ever get bored with your job? Just looking for some personal perspectives.

Thanks in advance.
Av8r

I have recently discovered the dispatch career and am interested to hear from current dispatchers what you think about your job. What do you like best (other than the travel benefits)?

The problem solving, and the fact that usually two days are never the same. Something is always changing, whether its a station that has decided they dont want to be used as an alternate, or an odd MEL that you, a check airman, the maintenance guys, and the dispatch sup all argue over.

What do you like the least?

Tough choice. Either A.....It gets boring some days. VFR days suck. Everything in the 121 world is scheduled. Same flights, same cities, every day, day after day. Can get a little boring on good weather days when nothing goes wrong. I like some bad weather and some tricky MELs.

Or B. .... I used to think PIC stood for Pilot In Command. NOW I think it stands for Pilot In-Capable of making a decision. You would not believe how much time I waste on STUPID things ....

Do you like the people you work with? What is your boss or supervisor like?

For the most part I like everyone I work with, but it depends on you, the other people, and the environment. It will change from place to place. Same with the boss. Keep in mind, there are always a few groups of people. There's the "If I didnt have to work with you, we'd get along" group, then there is the "Even if we didnt work together, I dont want a damn thing to do with you" group. That never changes.

Do you ever get bored with your job?

See above. Overall, I love what I do. Makes a big difference when you enjoy going to work. Just like any other job, it has its good days and bad days, but it is interesting and enjoyable.

Thank you very much for your input and perspective. I agree that no matter where a person works there will always be personality differences etc. Part of life I guess.

Here's another question for you (and/or others who may want to join in). For a person wanting to work their way up into a well-paying dispatch job, do you think it is important to be somewhat selective in where a person takes his/her first job? Or is it more important to just take any job offer that's on the table in order to obtain necessary experience?

Thanks again for your thoughts.

do you think it is important to be somewhat selective in where a person takes his/her first job? Or is it more important to just take any job offer that's on the table in order to obtain necessary experience?

Um ... a little bit of both I suppose. Keep in mind, I've only been doing this for hair over a year now. A guy I work with now came from Mesa and was saying they started out about $9.50/hr. Dont know if they still do or not, but I wouldnt get out of bed for that. At the same time, you need to find a company that you can be happy at and somewhat stable. Just by chance I didnt go to ABX when I started this adventure, and a year later I'm glad I didnt.

EDIT: How close are you to Ketchikan, AK?

RE: How close are you to Ketchikan, AK?[/quote]

I'm in Eastern Washington. So, not too close.

Um ... a little bit of both I suppose. Keep in mind, I've only been doing this for hair over a year now. A guy I work with now came from Mesa and was saying they started out about $9.50/hr. Dont know if they still do or not, but I wouldnt get out of bed for that. At the same time, you need to find a company that you can be happy at and somewhat stable. Just by chance I didnt go to ABX when I started this adventure, and a year later I'm glad I didnt.

EDIT: How close are you to Ketchikan, AK?

Big fellow,
Just curious. Who do you work for in Ohio?

Hey big feller I just interviewed at PSA was wondering what the pay is and how are they t work for. I am also a private pilot working on instrument rating. Do any of their dispatchers get any flight time?

Relocating can be tough on those who have family roots. It can sometimes be more of a headache to move to a new place far from where you are living and having to start with low pay to start and still maintain the household. I had to drive through 10 states before settling in Nevada. Some dispatchers commute to work and home, but it can be tough. You are ultimately responsible for being at work one way or the other. Everything else are pros!:nana2:

Hey big feller I just interviewed at PSA was wondering what the pay is and how are they t work for. I am also a private pilot working on instrument rating. Do any of their dispatchers get any flight time?

Check your PMs. What do you mean about flight time? We do our 5 hours of cockpit observation each year, but thats about it. We do get to fly for free wherever US Air goes. Thats quite nice.

Back