dispatch career

kilochuck

Looking to take the faa dispatch course in MSP. wondering if I can get some feed back on work conditions/lifestlye, shift work, salary expectations, jump seat privilages, pros/cons, etc. etc. any and all things related to dispatch would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Depends on where you go like any job. It has been my experince that most companies will start to pay somewhere around thirty thousand give or take. Mesa and Chatauqua pay considerably less, somewhere around 25 to 26k. If working for an airline know that the OCC is open 24/7 and you can expext to work some of the less glamorous shifts with the low seniority. Unless you have an in somewhere, you will more then likely need start out at a regional and work you way up to the majors. There is also a growing trend for private companies to have dispatchers on site. Although not necessary, more and more companies are hiring for them and your responsibilities will differ from an airline. Myself personally, I really enjoy the job, it is an aspect of aviation that the general public does not even know exists, you are working flight plans, checking wx, notams, runway conditions, etc.. As far as jumpseats go, if you work for an airline you will have jumpseat priveledges, as for the private sector most likely you will still be paying for the airline tickets. Hope this helps.

thanks for the info., wondering what advancement oppurtunities might be available down the road? How long have you been dispatching? Do you bid on schedules similar to what pilots do? what might some of those schedules look like? what kind of atmosphere is there in a dispatch office? At what levels/years of experience does pay increase etc.? is it wise to try and get in with an airline now, tossing luggage around or is the dispatch liscense in itself enough to be competetive. I know this all sound kinda trivial, but I just trying to get the best handle I can on this stuff. thanks again, much appreciated

Schedules are normally 4 on 3 off ten hour shifts. Being new you would most likely be working weekends or covering vactions. Again the time that you work can be any time of the day. You do bid for your schedule based on seniority, you might bid every three to six months. Every year you should experience a pay increase, there are a number of dispatch offices that are union shops so everyone will have standard raises each year. As far as advancements you move up in seniority, but can also put in for dispatch coordinators, or trainers for new dispatchers both of which will give you more money. Office atmosphere is usually pretty laid back, but on a bad wx day you can expect things to be hectic. If you want to be a dispatcher get the license, that most likely will be all that you need to land your first job. If you want to make it easier on yourself, it will not hurt to already be working within the company and to move internally.

any other dispatchers out there have any insights into the life of a dispatcher, I read alot of threads from the pilot sections and they really seem to piss and moan, about low pay, erratic schedules and if they had to do it all over again they would be a doctor, engineer, etc. I personnaly have flown a little, have a BS in aviation, and think that dispatch sounds like a logical choice and a good career. I am at a crossroads in my life a want a challenging, rewarding, well paying career. wondering what the consensus is, all responses would be greatly appreciated.

any other dispatchers out there have any insights into the life of a dispatcher, I read alot of threads from the pilot sections and they really seem to piss and moan, about low pay, erratic schedules and if they had to do it all over again they would be a doctor, engineer, etc. I personnaly have flown a little, have a BS in aviation, and think that dispatch sounds like a logical choice and a good career. I am at a crossroads in my life a want a challenging, rewarding, well paying career. wondering what the consensus is, all responses would be greatly appreciated.

Well, your gonna piss and moan in the beginning of your dispatch career too! You will start off at a regional making very little money... At least I did! Then then moved on to a major and started making better money... Its a good career but slow $ wise in the begining.... I made the switch to the cockpit so we'll see!

Back