Discovery Wings channel question

JaceTheAce

I saw a quick preview of some show on the Discovery Wings channel that follows a pilot from his PPL all the way to the pilot seat in an airliner... anyone know when this is on??? Wanted to watch it.

Oh God...

That reeks of PFT!
shocked.gif

Maybe there's a commercial that does, but his post makes no such implication. It doesn't mention at all the route he took to get there. From the post, it sounded to me like something I would definitely like to watch.

Yeah, well what happened was Discovery Wings said it'd be on next, so I hurried up and grabbed a tape to start recording - then all that was on was just a show on airplane crash testing, which was interesting anyhow.

How in the world did you make a connection between that program and PFT???? It may have been taped over a period of the last 6 years.

Jason

I can't stand when they put on the boring crap, all that stuff about balloons, and WW fighting stuff. Thats what I wanted to get away from in the History Channel. However, I do give the channel a 80% approval rating. I'd much rather be with it than without it.

[ QUOTE ]
How in the world did you make a connection between that program and PFT???? It may have been taped over a period of the last 6 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

AM I THE ONLY ONE TO BE WONDERING WHAT PFT IS??!!!!
No more shouting.
grin.gif

Darren

mrivc211- I totally agree with you. I think it's a great channel, but theres way too much crap on stuff like "Helicopters in Russia During World War II." I would rather watch stuff about aviation today, either about general aviation or the commercial. My favorite show is "Heathrow." I get it every sunday night from 8-830. It takes you through a day at LHR. It has really taught me alot of stuff about ground ops.

[ QUOTE ]
I can't stand when they put on the boring crap, all that stuff about balloons, and WW fighting stuff. Thats what I wanted to get away from in the History Channel. However, I do give the channel a 80% approval rating. I'd much rather be with it than without it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's always about WWII fighters and bombers... That's nice and cool but it's on way too much. I DO like those airport operations shows that do an in depth report on how Chicago Int'l operates with so many flights.

You got to realize though that the largest target audience for the shows they put on are probably old retired military folk that are interested in that kind of stuff.

I had that channel for about 2 months for some free digital cable promotion... I was greatly dissapointed. They just keep playing the same shows over and over and over again. If you missed that one show, don't worry, I'm sure it will come on again.

I agree with the above too... too much WW aircraft stuff. I saw maybe 3 shows about GA and commercial over a span of 2 months. There was one about ERAU, one about Corporate Aircraft, and one about the DC10/L1011s.

Yeah, but most of those shows they have are about warbirds (shows I've seen about 567 times)...or something like fire fighting helicopters... boring stuff. Rarely do I see anything worth watching. Good thing I don't have to pay extra for the channel - it's included with my satellite package.

They have that good series with the British dude building a home-built and getting his private. Well, it was good the first two times I saw the whole series, now it's getting kinda boring.

He had a spin lesson in his Cherokee. As far as I know, the Cherokee series isn't certified for spins. Are there different certifications in England, or is there a Cherokee that is spin certified??

Don't know about an actual Cherokee, but I know the whole series of them isn't spin rated. Arrows and I'm pretty sure Archers are not.

Oh, and PFT is short for "pay for training". Since I do NOT want to dredge up this topic again, head for the search function and type that in there. Guaranteed reading for the night.

I know the PA28-140 is approved for spins - I don't know if that applies to all of the straight wing Pipers or not.

By the way - approved or not - the Arrow spins quite nicely. Don't ask how I know. Damn students!
smirk.gif

From the PA-28-161 POH:

3.27 SPIN RECOVERY (3.3k)

Intentional spins are prohibited in this airplane. If a spin is inadvertently entered, ... blah blah blah.

I enjoyed that show, "The Secret World of Air Freight," but they show the "Centennial of Flight" way too many times.

[ QUOTE ]
AM I THE ONLY ONE TO BE WONDERING WHAT PFT IS??!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

PFT is pay for training. It is used to describe airline training programs in which you have to write the company a check for your training before they will hire you. This is in contrast to the traditional method of the company hiring you then paying for your training (as well as paying you while you are in training).

Back