Dirty FBO tricks

Mavmb

Wherever you are doing flight training at, always remember one thing. Flight training is a business with a lot of money involved.

I was talking to one of my students who did some training at an FBO in California. The FBO was at a small airport and only had a self serve fuel pump. He paid money up front, and eventually found out that he was being billed the extra .1 to .3 it was taking to taxi to the fuel pump and back. And if an instructor was with him, he was paying for the instructor time too. Granted .1 or .2 is that much but after about ten flights, he had just spent an extra 100 hours or more.

Just a word to the wise, pay as you go during flight training. That way if anything ever goes wrong, or if the flight school closes, you aren't out a couple thousand dollars.

I have the same problem with the flight school I'm starting. When the wind blows the normal way it's not a big deal to swing by the fuel pump. Other times it's a bit out of the way. My airplane is the cheapest on the airport, so I don't feel too bad...it's a nice 152, as well. Also, in your above example of a dirty FBO trick....did the guy get to put the extra .1 in his logbook? I thought so......shouldn't he have to pay for that?

I agree that you should never put money up front. I don't WANT anyones money up front. In fact, I got people that owe me money and it's okay because I TRUST them.

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, I got people that owe me money and it's okay because I TRUST them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I borrow $20 and your corvette there, Don?
smile.gif

I'm letting this 17 year old friend of mine borrow the vette to take his date to the prom in May...sure you can drive it if you come to Spokane...just let me know. I'll pick you up at your hotel and take you out to dinner...and YOU can drive.

Cool! Is it the C5 body style? I looked at one of those a few years ago (ya know, new hire pilot, unmarried, yadda yadda yadda) but determined that since at the time I was 27 and unmarried, even the Geico gecko would gawk at underwriting me.

Ahh, there's a black Z06 that zips around the neighborhood with 737FLYR on the license plate, good lookin' car!

It's a C4, 123K miles, Red, Auto...it's a lot of car for the 8K I paid for it but it's really nothing to get too excited about. Very fun to drive. The Capt I was just flying with has a nearly new C5 and says they are a much higher performing car but I just can't see sinking that kind of money into something that doesn't get off the ground. Plus, I don't like the C5 body style as much. Now, the C3's from the 70's really catch my eye but I wound up with a newer one cause a guy from my church had it.

an extra 100 HOURS to go feul up?? Well, as a CFI, I WANT TO work there because i'd have alot more hourse by now.

I know that you probbaly meant DOLLARS
smile.gif
smile.gif

I consider myself an ethical CFI... I encourage my students to take the first tiedown we can hit.. I tell them its a lot cheaper to pay me to walk than to pay me to watch them taxi !

Copaman had a C4 too, at least I think it was a C4. Very hot car, very well taken care of and he babied the heck out of it.

I can't remember what came first, the "For Sale" sign or the engagement ring!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Wherever you are doing flight training at, always remember one thing. Flight training is a business with a lot of money involved.

I was talking to one of my students who did some training at an FBO in California. The FBO was at a small airport and only had a self serve fuel pump. He paid money up front, and eventually found out that he was being billed the extra .1 to .3 it was taking to taxi to the fuel pump and back. And if an instructor was with him, he was paying for the instructor time too. Granted .1 or .2 is that much but after about ten flights, he had just spent an extra 100 hours or more.

Just a word to the wise, pay as you go during flight training. That way if anything ever goes wrong, or if the flight school closes, you aren't out a couple thousand dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said, thanks for posting this info!

frog_flyer said:
LAX : where is that airport in your avatar?

Whoa, reviving a blast from the past post...

That's St. Maarten. The beach in question is Maho Beach. airliners.net should have your fill of shots. It's that website's favorite airport.

"In fact, I got people that owe me money and it's okay because I TRUST them."

Man, that was an old thread. I am no longer trying to start a flight school and the student I had still owes me money. Not expecting to ever see it. So much for trust.

Have you looked much into upgrading from that C4 to the new C6 zo6 vette?

65,000 dollars for super car performance AND good gas milage not to mention the race car version that dominated lemans so bad it was almost asinine? Yes please!!!!!!!!

I don't know, man. I'd feel pretty guilty spending that much money on a car. I looked at a C6 the other day and it appealed to me a lot more than a C5. I kinda think a nice, low time, C4, would be best but I wouldn't rule out a C6 that was slightly used. Part of the problem is the dirt road you gotta drive to get to my house. It makes me cry to drive a nice car on my road. What kind of mileage do the C6's get?

18/26

Not only do you get 100% better performance than everything in the price range and below and a few that cost twice as much, but you kick their a$$ in gas milage. With a 427 ci small block. No, its not the same 427 big block from the 60s.

I dont know what GM is thinking offering this car for 65,000. Good for them, domestic car makers are finally in a state of renewal. I've always prefered domestics, even though the late 80's and early 90's cars leave a lot to be desired. Most of the new stuff, without even hesitationg, I would take over an import.

Back