Digital Copies of Labor Contracts

bronco21016

I know H.T.M.L. (How To Meet Ladies)
When I was in recurrent a few weeks ago our MEC discussed several topics and one of them was the delivery of our JCBA in digital format. I just got around to thinking about it though after I had some discussion with scheduling about an assignment.

As it currently stands we all have paper copies of the original JCBA pre chapter 11. The chapter 11 modifications were done through a Letter of Agreement which was distributed digitally and with a short "Quick Reference" guide. All in all there are about 40 total letter of agreements in addition to the bankruptcy one that are primarily only available in digital format.

Currently all of these documents are available in PDF format on the company website. When a contract issue comes up you have to reference the original JCBA then sift through the LOAs to make sure you're getting the right idea. This wasn't really a big deal until the bankruptcy LOA which had huge changes especially in the scheduling section which is the most used section in day to day operations. Makes it quite the PITA to figure out if you're on the right track. So the MEC mentioned making an unofficial document that merges all of the changes brought on by the LOAs essentially making a single document to reference.

I have yet to see how they're going to pull it off but I'm curious how other companies are doing this. How is your contract distributed digitally? How do you ensure you have the most current and up to date version? I have a feeling 9E is simply going to post a PDF of this document they're creating but it will be a nightmare I feel like to ensure I have the most current version. New LOAs come out occasionally without much announcement at all so I'll be checking the website for the latest version all the time.

Maybe a Wiki or Subversion system that is available online would be the best option? I feel like something that is editable by the appropriate union members and available in website format (including mobile) would be the most useful way of going about this if you're going to go about it at all. A Wiki might also have examples of interpretations that could be added in based on grievances, their resolutions, and discussions with the company. These could be added as they come up. The document would also reference the proper Sections of the JCBA and LOAs since a wiki would still be "unofficial".

Yes, I plan on voicing this opinion to my MEC.

TL : DR version....
Just wondering how everyone else manages digital distribution of their employment contract and associated changes.

We, I, incorporate all new MOUs or LOAs into a master PDF.

All files, the master and individualized sections, are all available on our MEC website.

We, I, notify our pilot group when the file has been updated through our weekly newsletter from the MEC, as necessary. A direct download link is also embedded for easy access whilst reading the email on a smartphone or tablet.

Now, ask me how many guys actually save the file...and Im more apt to say not a lot.

Now, ask me how many guys actually save the file...and Im more apt to say not a lot.

Which means they're fumbling through the company or MEC website every time they have a contract issue to find the appropriate references. This is why I feel like a website that's quickly accessible or even an app would be the most appropriate means of distributing the contract.

Which means they're fumbling through the company or MEC website every time they have a contract issue to find the appropriate references. This is why I feel like a website that's quickly accessible or even an app would be the most appropriate means of distributing the contract.

That would make sense, hence why we don't have nice things like that at Pinna *cough* Endeavor Air

The problem with what you suggest is that CBAs are always-changing documents. With every LOA, MOU, grievance settlement, and arbitration award that comes along, the CBA is changed. Someone would have to keep up with all of that to keep the master electronic document modified, and most MECs just don't have the staffing for it. An MEC like DALPA certainly could, because they seem to have more money than God, but other than them, FDX, and ALA, most MECs are always struggling to have the resources to just get the necessary things done. So, new LOAs just get added to the end of the PDF and you have to search for them. I wish there was a better way of doing it, but I just don't see a realistic way for most MECs.

I guess I don't know enough about how the MEC works to know if they're too busy or what not. I figured it would only take a few hours of work to add in the LOAs and MOUs then a couple hours of review by others. I understand that it definitely wouldn't be feasible to add in every grievance and arbitration award. I was thinking more along the lines of the notable ones that are likely to affect people. For example the JCBA currently has several examples of reserve assignments. I was thinking it wouldn't hurt to throw in some more examples. I guess the next comment will probably be I should volunteer to do this eh?

The problem with what you suggest is that CBAs are always-changing documents. With every LOA, MOU, grievance settlement, and arbitration award that comes along, the CBA is changed. Someone would have to keep up with all of that to keep the master electronic document modified, and most MECs just don't have the staffing for it. An MEC like DALPA certainly could, because they seem to have more money than God, but other than them, FDX, and ALA, most MECs are always struggling to have the resources to just get the necessary things done. So, new LOAs just get added to the end of the PDF and you have to search for them. I wish there was a better way of doing it, but I just don't see a realistic way for most MECs.
Get a job, ALPA can't support you forever.

BTW the 9E MEC is working on making a new contract that has the modified parts one-lined and the new things inserted above. Fwiw.

I think a wiki would be a great idea. You could have it sectioned according to the CBA sections, show the original text and the text of LOA/etc that modified that section as well as a "narrative" that gives the MECs interpretation of important clauses.

I dont even think it would take that much effort to keep up to date if you did it this way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I think a wiki would be a great idea. You could have it sectioned according to the CBA sections, show the original text and the text of LOA/etc that modified that section as well as a "narrative" that gives the MECs interpretation of important clauses.

I dont even think it would take that much effort to keep up to date if you did it this way.

I agree. After the initial setup you give edit permissions to the correct people and it could be updated with a few hours work/week.

I agree. After the initial setup you give edit permissions to the correct people and it could be updated with a few hours work/week.

I don't think you understand attorneys. :) Nothing related to a legal document like a CBA gets posted without first getting approved by an attorney and an MEC officer. It's not as simple as just giving some random volunteer edit permissions. A volunteer would have to write it, then an attorney would have to review it and edit it, then an MEC officer would have to give it final approval. Any edits by the MEC officer have to go back through the attorney again. Anything you put in writing about the CBA, no matter how "unofficial" you try to make it, can be used against you in arbitration hearing.

This is why I posted about it before making myself look like a fool to the MEC ha. I know NOTHING about the inner workings of the MEC etc so I was trying to feel it out and see if it was possible. Sounds like it is possible but VERY time consuming.

Anyhow I went ahead and started contacting the MEC to see what they think. I of course volunteered to work on it if they're interested. The union is slowly sucking me in.....

But becauae everything has to be vetted that means that the wiki itself wont need updating very often.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Back