DIGITAL CAMERA

Tony is absolutely right about the rather shady practices out there . . .

At B and H and Adorama, they clearly mark which items are grey market and which are USA. Other stores pawn grey items off as USA without telling you. Grey market items are physically the same as the USA but their warranties can't be accepted in North America. Normally you either have to eat the warranty item or send it overseas for your claim. If you're willing to take that risk AND you're making an informed decision then that's fine. But when you're expecting one thing and you get another . . . that's not so good!

Another big scam is to advertise a great price but you get the camera and it's missing all of the normally included accessories. When you call back and ask where your instruction manual, lens hood, rechargeable batteries, etc. are, you're told that they cost extra - often hundreds of dollars more! If you then say that you'd like to return the item, you're hit with a 50-75% restocking fee.

I deal with B and H first and ,if they can't help me, I go with Adorama next. Both are very good for the most part. I've never had issues with B and H and only had one misunderstanding with Adorama. (And keep in mind that this is after literally hundreds upon hundreds of interactions. I've tried a few other places and had trouble almost every time . . . )

Not trying to turn anyone off, just bothered the jerks who take unsuspecting people for a ride.

I've got my MEL this afternoon and need to study
grin.gif
. . . catch you all later!

-PhotoPilot

Back