Difference between ROTC and Reserves

Ryan

This is a general question that applies to all branches of the military, what is the difference between the reserves and the ROTC?? If anyone could explain the difference in terms of educational benefits and length of service it would be greatly appreciated.

-Ryan

ROTC is a commissioning source for the active duty.

The reserves is a non-active component of the four services.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Commissioning source for reserves and national guard as well.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It used to be that the Army allowed you to go from ROTC to the Reserves, but I believe Air Force ROTC is still straight to active duty upon graduation.

At least that was the rule a few years ago, and I haven't heard anything about it changing.

In Rotc you are commissioned as an officer. There are several other differences, but I think this is a very important difference.

It is currently about $290/mo for full time. You don't have to pay into it like active duty does. There are certain jobs that are "critical" and if you extend your contract to 6 years from the date you sign up for this program called the "kicker" they will give you an extra $350/mo for school. That's what I did. I only had to add another 17 months to my contract because I did it early in my enlistment.

[ QUOTE ]
It is currently about $290/mo for full time. You don't have to pay into it like active duty does. There are certain jobs that are "critical" and if you extend your contract to 6 years from the date you sign up for this program called the "kicker" they will give you an extra $350/mo for school. That's what I did. I only had to add another 17 months to my contract because I did it early in my enlistment.

[/ QUOTE ]

So this is the VA benefits?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It used to be that the Army allowed you to go from ROTC to the Reserves, but I believe Air Force ROTC is still straight to active duty upon graduation.

At least that was the rule a few years ago, and I haven't heard anything about it changing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah I see... I didn't know that Air Force ROTC officer commissioning is relatively different from Army ROTC in terms of commitments.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So this is the VA benefits?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that is the RESERVE GI bill

so you are given this money during your service in your respective branch of the military? or after you are discharged?
that $290 per month is all you get for both flight training and college??

You get it while in the service. $10,440, that's it. If you do the kicker program you get another $12,600. You have to be in a certain career field though. You'd have to ask the reserve education office to find out which jobs. At travis afb, C-5 loadmaster and C-5 flight engineer are on the list.

Back