difference between glass and analog?

cmsuav8r

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge on this, but what is the difference between an analog cockpit and a glass one? Is glass better and if so then Why?

All "glass cockpit" means is that the instruments are in the form of computer screen's. The data is more accurate and some people would tell you that it's easier to take in with the format that it can be put in. I wouldn't know personally, I use steam gauges still, or an analog cockpit. All analog means is that the cockpit just has regular old gauges that are driven by gyro's and other such funness.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

For aesthetic purposes, ease of reading, and accuracy glass is much better. But you will find some old analog stuff as backups in some planes.

Or even a combination for primary flight instruments. The Jetstream has glass EADIs that show attitude, rate of climb, and airspeed, but altitude is on a separate "steam gauge." I've jumpsat on an MD88 that was set up almost identically.

Navigation is on a glass EHSI. Engine instruments are digital gauges, but not true glass.

Glass cockpit:

352927.jpg

Analog cockpit:

322992.jpg

Talking with flight instructors at Flight Safety out of Columbus, it really does not matter which sort of instruments are used. If the Northwest pilots can still fly DC-9's without any trouble, then analog must not be that bad.

I'm kind of an EFIS weirdo. I prefer the map display enroute and on arrival, but I usually turn my "Nav Display" to plain old "rose" mode. Just basic, pure information instead of all of the gobblygook from the FMS, most of which may or may not be 100% correct.

It usually drives my captains nuts and they usually say, "How can you read that thing in rose?!"

Doug,

I do the same thing in the 1900D. We have GPS in ours that reads on the EHSI. So I can put it map mode enroute, and then into "rose" mode in the terminal environment. It seems to be standard for most of the F/Os I fly with as well.

Back