Did you ever feel this way?

Instrument flying is one of the greatest things there is. I absolutely loved my instrument training. I had the opportunity to get a lot of actual time during my training and loved it every time. Shooting an approach and breaking through the cloud layer to see that beautiful runway ahead of you is a great feeling. It's also great to know that, even on those really crappy days, it's always sunny somewhere at some altitude and you have the capability to find it
grin.gif
Kind of helps break the winter blues (for those of us in snow country). There's nothing wrong with being excited about flying, that's what this is all about - doing something that you absolutely love (I still carry my camera with me everytime I fly). Keep up the good work, and be sure to enjoy your instrument training days. Call your instructor on those crappy days and get as much actual IFR experience as you can (as long as their is no ice or t-storms of course), you won't regret it!

Kinda like making an ILS approach down to mins and breaking out with that big pretty runway all lite up and you are dead on centerline..

[ QUOTE ]
Gosh... This is gonna sound mega corny, but please bear with me. In fact, I'm just throwing this out because I am wondering if anyone else had the same experience.

Yesterday was my first actual filed IFR flight with my instructor. Nothing big, I already am used to the talking, my instructor's squawking, and the turbulence knocking. But as we climbed out through 5000 feet my instructor said "you can take off your hood now." A bit puzzled, I obliged... and there before me was the broken deck of clouds not more than 700ft above us. "We're going through that?" "Yep..."

I could do nothing but stare at the clouds coming toward us, the anticipation building as the clouds- not the airplane- seemed to be moving towards ME. Within a half a second the world went white, we continue climbing, and emerged not more than a minute later above the deck. It was eerie- everything turned quiet, the "continuous moderate chop" stopped- everything glass clear, Bradley departure calmley giving headings and changes to other aircraft.

Very wierd feeling being on top there. I had to take a picture. Its one thing being an airline passenger and seeing out of a porthole-sized window. But this was amazing... and it was just an innocent broken layer!

Now... I at first said "nothing big," but somehow this is bigger to me than my first solo back a year ago for some reason- I don't know why. Sort of like a first kiss with a good boyfriend/girlfriend? Sort of like joining a secret society of pilots "that fly above the clouds?"

Ok, sorry... very corny. I'm pretty much still a very new pilot, so things like this really get me going.

Ok thanks for reading, I'm gonna go back to studying.

[/ QUOTE ]
Congrats. It's fun isn't it? I do have to ask a question though. As somebody else flying in the Northeast right now, not too far south of you, what the heck were you doing in the clouds this time of year at your altitude? That has icing written all over it!!! I would question my CFII about that

yeah, icing was my first thought too, but it was not a thick deck and as we hit the deck, I watched the wings for any buildup... nothing! My instructor knew what he was doing I'm sure, the plane didn't loose its engine until we taxied off the runway at Groton (no joke)

great post man !
Corny ?? not at all !
As u can see, most of us feel that way...
Just wait till u break out at 1800 RVR......That's pretty cool too !
I've only been doing this (pro) for 4 years (got plenty of it too...) but I don't think i'll ever be tired of popping on top when rain is pouring on the ground...
Then a couple of checklists later, suddenly have the runway a 1/4 mile in front of you...........haaa

"your instructor knew what he was doing??"

never be so sure !!
grin.gif
grin.gif

like so many above have said, NOT a corny post, and I think one of the nicer ones to read. My first IMC I logged a "gratuitous" 0.5 as I sliced through dissipating cumulus. I will NEVER forget that moment.

[ QUOTE ]
"your instructor knew what he was doing??"

never be so sure !!
grin.gif
grin.gif

like so many above have said, NOT a corny post, and I think one of the nicer ones to read. My first IMC I logged a "gratuitous" 0.5 as I sliced through dissipating cumulus. I will NEVER forget that moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

funny you mention it. My instructor has 30 years of experience, but he's starting to forget things a little bit, especially if he had a hard day the previous day- like he'll tell me under the hood to call up "west" of the airport when we're actually "east." This throws my orientation under the hood WAYYY off because I'm trying to trust my mental picture as well as what he says. As far as weather, he's been through the stuff, so I don't really doubt him on that.

capitalize on his IMC wisdom (way far ahead of my 10 hrs IMC). Your experience with his early signs of confusion ought to atleast prepare you to be prepared to question and consider ATC instructions
smile.gif
:)

Wow that is a good post! I haven't started my IR yet. I am looking forward to it!
smile.gif

At this time, I star far way from any puff of cloud.
crazy.gif

I was flying a couple Valentines Day scenics here in northern Cali today, with nice clouds sitting around 3,000' MSL. I was ducking to stay under them but while tootling my backseat lovebirds around, I was fantasizing about getting a pop-up and powering that airplane UP INTO it all
smile.gif

Back