Diamond's Turn

JEP

Does It Really Matter....?
Staff member
Now to go along with the CirrusJet:

[YT]XPRT39_vKi0[/YT]

Diamond's D-Jet has been in development for a couple years. They already have 3 flying and expect certification next year. It's quite a bit ahead of the Cirrus jet and Piper jet.

315 knots max cruise? 240 knots normal cruise? Engine change in the middle of certification? Good luck, and remember to opt for the "rear-view mirror" option to see all the Mu-2s and kingairs overtaking you.

315 knots max cruise? 240 knots normal cruise? Engine change in the middle of certification? Good luck, and remember to opt for the "rear-view mirror" option to see all the Mu-2s and kingairs overtaking you.

And TBM's:buck:

I see those little things all over in London, Ontario when we fly up there. I guess they are doing most of the testing there because of the Diamond facility at YXU.

On of the biggest drawbacks is the useful load. If you need it to be fully fueled, good luck putting 5 people in it with their baggage.

I think it looks very nice

still my fav VLJ is the cessna mustang.... its a bit bigger than these things though I think?

So they got a $20 million bailout from the Canadian government to keep the project alive?

I can't wait

People that can afford a Jet want better than this.

Still looks like a single engine airplane to me. Have fun in the soup, I'll take mine with two.

Why is it that every airplane ever made seems to need an engine upgrade? Why don't aeronautical engineers ever seem to make a realistic decision the first time around about the powerplant an airplane will require? Is it just wishful thinking, or am I wrong in identifying this trend?

Why is it that every airplane ever made seems to need an engine upgrade? Why don't aeronautical engineers ever seem to make a realistic decision the first time around about the powerplant an airplane will require? Is it just wishful thinking, or am I wrong in identifying this trend?
The thing is that lately customers are more concerned with efficiency and cost of operation than they used to be. The whole concept of VLJs has been based on a Jet that is cheaper to own and operate. SO "lets pick a small jet engine and build an airplane around it" has been the opening idea. The engineers make some wild ass claims as to what performance the airplane will end up with.

Then somewhere in the development phase bitter reality hits. There is no chance of getting the claimed performance with the package they have put together.

My feeling on the subject: If you have to be concerned with how much it costs to operate a private jet, you cannot afford one.

Back