Diabetes and Being a Flight Attendant

rspicer

Hello,

I was wondering about the rules of being a Flight Attendant and having Type 1 Diabetes. Type 1 requires the use of insulin. Can you be a flight attendant?

Thanks,
Ryan

My first reaction is to say no, but I'm going to have to go back through some books & records and some other sources to find a more definitive answer.

I'll try to get back with more info later tonight.

A friend of mine uses a pump and has been a F/A for 12 years. I do believe she had trouble getting hired by one specific company though. It may be a few extra hoops to jump through but as long as you pass your medical at hiring then you should be good.

I am a trauma registered nurse in Texas, about to become a controller. I have no idea what the rules for passing the medical, but common sense would say that since Type 1 is a genetic....you're born with it, type disease, they cannot descriminate against it. If, of course, it does not interfere with your role of ensure safety aboard the craft.

If you pass your medical, a company should not be able to say "you can't have the job because you have type 1 DM. Now, Type 2, which is 95% lifestyle induced....I think they have every right. Call it strange, but thats my $0.40.

UTAMAV
R.N., B.S.N.:bandit:

I am a trauma registered nurse in Texas, about to become a controller. I have no idea what the rules for passing the medical, but common sense would say that since Type 1 is a genetic....you're born with it, type disease, they cannot descriminate against it. If, of course, it does not interfere with your role of ensure safety aboard the craft.

If you pass your medical, a company should not be able to say "you can't have the job because you have type 1 DM. Now, Type 2, which is 95% lifestyle induced....I think they have every right. Call it strange, but thats my $0.40.

UTAMAV

Diabetes is in no way genetic.

I'm a type 1 and I only got diagnosed at age 23...no one in my family has ever been diabetic other than myself. Also, type 2 isn't necessarily "lifestyle induced". If your pancreas all of a sudden stops making enough insulin one day, then BAM your a type 2...if it stops making it completely, welcome to type 1....

my fiance` is a FA for airtran and has been there for goin on four years. she had to have some doctors notes and such to get the job. she was diagnosed at 13 with no family history.

FYI, genetic doesn't mean it comes from your parents only. Just that a mutation occurs within the islet cells of the pancreas. Also, not every case can be textbook diabetes. I was just giving an overall picture of why type 1 should be given a further look. And, MOST cases of Type 2 ARE lifestyle related. This is just the Bachelors in Science talking...not worth any more of my time defending what I say. Good luck with the type 2 that is now type 1.....(there is such thing as insulin dependent type 2).

I am a retired Purser from YVR, I was diagnosed as a diabetic in 1978, I spent 3 years offline, working in crew sched, where I found out that the rule used to ground me was in fact a pilot licencing regulation from the MOT, I fought my removal and won my job back. Of course this re-instatement had to be conditional on my being able to cope with being both diabetic (insulin dependant) and what kind of flying I could hold with my seniority. Suffice to say that I handled all routes that Canadian Airlines/Air Canada flew, and up until I had to go on 4 injections (1 after each meal) I managed to retain my health and my job. I retired in 2001,
freedom 55. The question as to whether you will be initially selected for employment or not, is a hard one, because the hiring company need not inform you with their reasons for denying employment, but good luck anyway.
John B

UTAMAV

Have you passed a 2nd class medical before? I was told being a type 1 diabetic was an automatic failure...

Back