DFW Schools

Gyroguy

Hi, I'm a new forum member considering a career change into dispatching. I do have light single and rotorcraft aviation experience so aviation isn't new but a lot of the concepts to planning, some regulations, aerodynamics, and charts for higher altitude planning are fresh to me based on what I've started with which is Sheppard Air for the written exam. I'd like to blast the exam out initially so that I can attend a 5-week course locally and focus more on learning while attending without the stress of the written. With that said, I found 2 local schools in the DFW area that teach the classes and I was wondering if anyone has any reviews for either. They are Aircraft Dispatcher Training Center (ADTC) in Farmers Branch, TX, and ATP Flight School out of Irving, TX.

Respectfully,
GG

Thank you Bobber for the recommendation, I started going through their reviews and website. Did you attend there or know someone that did? If so, what stood out over other places?

IFOD is where I went and it was great. Kash is a good guy and you'll be in good hands there. That said, ADTC was actually started by an instructor I had when I was at IFOD. ADTC has another instructor that was in my class at IFOD, both of them are great people and very knowledgeable. I'd recommend ADTC as well. I don't think you can go wrong between IFOD and ADTC.

Thank you Bobber for the recommendation, I started going through their reviews and website. Did you attend there or know someone that did? If so, what stood out over other places?
I was recommended from a friend. It was either that or ATC school at the time and I had just finished 4 years of college so I wasn't ready to do more of that.

What @flyryan692 said sumed it up great. They had an old location close to the AA HQ which worked really well for me, and the price was affordable. Class was informative and put me in a great spot in my dispatch career.

I visited both IFOD and ATP today, both in Irving, TX. ADTC was a little further out so I didn't make that visit yet.

IFOD was busy with at least a dozen students and Kash (who appears to be the owner) took time to answer any questions I had. I like that there are dozens of reviews on both Google and Facebook for IFOD so I was able to get a good feel for the school overall before visiting. I asked about the structure of the training and they said they spend the first 3 weeks focusing on the written exam, followed by the last 2 weeks on the oral prep. I am slightly concerned that the "training for the job" might get lost if they focus too hard on prepping for the tests. I want to leave knowing I have what it takes to go do at least an entry-level job in this field.

When I walked into ATP's lobby, I was greeted by a few pilots that said the location is primarily for ATP/CTP training but they also do dispatcher training every 6 weeks or so. There was nothing to observe happening live so I couldn't get a good feel for what class would be like but the building is very professional looking! They referred me to their training coordinator Michael, whom I've already been in touch with. Michael is located in Florida so there wasn't really anybody I could chat with on location for further detailed questions. The pilots at the desk also mentioned that the expectation is for the student to arrive on day 1 with the knowledge to take the ADX exam so that the instructor can just focus on teaching the course. That made me feel a bit unprepared as their next course starts in less than a week but I also admire that they might be able to do a better job teaching how to do the job really well. If they aren't having to take the time to help people pass a test, they can go more in-depth on subjects. The only reviews I can see are from ATP's website and I found nothing on Google or Facebook. My neighbor who Supervises AA dispatchers told me recently that the last 10 hires they took, all came from ATP so I respect that.

I've got a few days left before I have to make a decision as ATP said I could literally tell them the day before class starts. IFOD's next class starts in 2 weeks so there is plenty of time there also. I'm going to sleep on it before deciding but I wanted to share briefly what my visits were like in case it helps others.

Everything you learn about “how to do the job” will be thrown straight out the window when you get on at an airline except for basic aviation weather concepts and practicing use of Mel restrictions and things like that. I am not aware of any airline that does flight plans/releases by hand with a whiz wheel and a big ol high altitude map so I wouldn’t worry too much about not being trained for the job. You need to get your license and know how to interpret weather and how that will impact your ability to safely get to your destination but other than that the airline you get hired at will train you how to do the job the way they want you to do it. And it is different at every airline. Sure there are similarities, but they all interpret things and do things slightly different. Find the cheapest quickest way to get your cert and network.

As others have said, the real learning of the job will be at your first airline and ground school/OJT there, not your dispatch school. All you are doing is going to school to get a license to learn so to speak. Learning weather, charts, and basic fars are all that you will retain in hard knowledge from school, the rest is just getting past a written and practical.

I did I IFOD and was very pleased they helped me with the written. A lot of what you learn for the written is also stuff you'll need for the practical at that school, so it's not wasted time.

I currently instruct at another school, and much of what we teach is similar to what was taught in those first few weeks, like weather theory, taf and metars, etc.

I visited both IFOD and ATP today, both in Irving, TX. ADTC was a little further out so I didn't make that visit yet.

IFOD was busy with at least a dozen students and Kash (who appears to be the owner) took time to answer any questions I had. I like that there are dozens of reviews on both Google and Facebook for IFOD so I was able to get a good feel for the school overall before visiting. I asked about the structure of the training and they said they spend the first 3 weeks focusing on the written exam, followed by the last 2 weeks on the oral prep. I am slightly concerned that the "training for the job" might get lost if they focus too hard on prepping for the tests. I want to leave knowing I have what it takes to go do at least an entry-level job in this field.

When I walked into ATP's lobby, I was greeted by a few pilots that said the location is primarily for ATP/CTP training but they also do dispatcher training every 6 weeks or so. There was nothing to observe happening live so I couldn't get a good feel for what class would be like but the building is very professional looking! They referred me to their training coordinator Michael, whom I've already been in touch with. Michael is located in Florida so there wasn't really anybody I could chat with on location for further detailed questions. The pilots at the desk also mentioned that the expectation is for the student to arrive on day 1 with the knowledge to take the ADX exam so that the instructor can just focus on teaching the course. That made me feel a bit unprepared as their next course starts in less than a week but I also admire that they might be able to do a better job teaching how to do the job really well. If they aren't having to take the time to help people pass a test, they can go more in-depth on subjects. The only reviews I can see are from ATP's website and I found nothing on Google or Facebook. My neighbor who Supervises AA dispatchers told me recently that the last 10 hires they took, all came from ATP so I respect that.

I've got a few days left before I have to make a decision as ATP said I could literally tell them the day before class starts. IFOD's next class starts in 2 weeks so there is plenty of time there also. I'm going to sleep on it before deciding but I wanted to share briefly what my visits were like in case it helps others.

I wouldn't make your decision on what school you go to based on what they teach you about the job. You are going to the class to learn how to take and pass the tests you're given and that is it, when you get hired for the the job is when you will get trained on how to do it.

I worked at IFOD for a brief period of time, Kash is a good guy and does know his stuff but the head of training Mark is much better at teaching and does a very good job getting you ready for everything you need. I worked with Chris (who runs ADTC) at IFOD and he is probably the best teacher out of all of them IMO, maybe doesnt have the extensive knowledge that Mark does but he is very good at explaining things so that anyone can understand and is honestly just an entertaining teacher. I think either IFOD or ADTC are good places to go to I just cant speak for ATP. If you have any specific questions feel free to throw them at me.

What's the word on ATP's dispatch school? They seem to be the only school to offer financing, which would help me out.
If you want my honest opinion, without ever having been to that school, they strike me as wanting to squeeze a little more profit out of aviation training so they have a DX school. I get the feeling they do not genuinely care about your training or career, but I could be wrong! That's just my view of the school, I can't make any judgements of the actual people working there. I think IFOD and ADTC are probably a little more genuine. Don't hold me to it, but I think IFOD and ADTC *might* work with you on payment, or you can get a personal loan which seem fairly easy to get.

If you want my honest opinion, without ever having been to that school, they strike me as wanting to squeeze a little more profit out of aviation training so they have a DX school. I get the feeling they do not genuinely care about your training or career, but I could be wrong! That's just my view of the school, I can't make any judgements of the actual people working there. I think IFOD and ADTC are probably a little more genuine. Don't hold me to it, but I think IFOD and ADTC *might* work with you on payment, or you can get a personal loan which seem fairly easy to get.
I went to ATP and know several other dispatchers who did as well and now have successful dispatch careers now working at majors / ULCCs / and 121 supp cargo. Personally I think its a better experience than IFOD or the larger dispatch schools as the smaller class size (I believe the max class size is 9-12) gives you ample time to ask more questions and have more 1 on 1 instruction. Our instructor did a great job and made sure we were prepared for our exam.

At the end of the day though the goal is to get your license. Each of the schools do a great job and the end goal remains the same. Employers do not care about the name of the school just the license # so when they look it up they know you are legit. I took a personal loan out myself but the financing assistance is a good choice for those who may need it.

I went to ADTC in Dallas, small class size, the price is reasonable and the instructor-Chris is the best teacher. He will stay overtime even on weekend to go over things you cant caught up in class and also help to prep for any of your interview even after you graduated. Strongly recommend.

Guys, I don't want to revive an old topic without a valid reason, but I think this is the best place to ask:
I enrolled at IFOD as International student, looks like FAA dispatcher license is highly valued even here in EU (European Union) and anywhere in the world, so I thought "that's gonna make a good investement".
But my course starts soon and they haven't answered my mails for a week. Is that normal? They are about important stuffs. Is it normal they (Prakash or others) can take weeks to answer mails? I'm worried, my course starts April 11th. Thanks to whoever answers.

They have an evening class so they may still pick up but if there’s only one person there they’ll be teaching. Wouldn’t hurt to try though

Back