...detent

b_r

Flew to SanDiego this weekend (commercially), and on the ground over the ATC channel at O'Hare, I heard something totally new:

Ground: "United 1205, position and hold, detent. "

Anyone know what "detent " means? Ground was saying that to several other jets also. I couldn't find it in the pilot controller glossary.

He was probably saying "Position and Hold, Dee 10" as in Delta 10 intersection... Which is off of Runway 32L...

Except I believe the intersection is Tee 10 (Tango 10), a commonly used intersection for 32L departures at ORD. It allows simultaneous use of 27L for departures or arrivals and still provides 8800' of departure runway on 32L.

FL270

yes, that makes perfect sense now... T as in Total or D as in Dumba__...

...we took off on 32L
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Except I believe the intersection is Tee 10 (Tango 10), a commonly used intersection for 32L departures at ORD. It allows simultaneous use of 27L for departures or arrivals and still provides 8800' of departure runway on 32L.

FL270

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well could be, I am still in the "old mindset" when it comes to ORD... The "Inner", "Outer", "Lake Shore Drive", "Penalty Box", etc... Fortunately I don't get into ORD very ofter...

Reminds me of a time back home (KSFO) when I was at the airport, listening to my scanner and spotting. I was a private pilot wannabe, and I kept hearing ground tell aircraft to taxi to the "superbay". I repeatedly wondered to myself, "What in the heck is a superbay"??

Turns out it's some HUGE super-hangar at SFO!!!

Fast forward, 3 years later, I'm on my first visual approach at KMQY (Smyrna, TN), and the tower controller tells me to report of Nissan....What the heck is he talking about? Report over a car??

Turns out there's a huge Nissan plant aligned on the final approach course to runway 32, and they use it as a visual reporting point....

[ QUOTE ]
Reminds me of a time back home (KSFO) when I was at the airport, listening to my scanner and spotting. I was a private pilot wannabe, and I kept hearing ground tell aircraft to taxi to the "superbay". I repeatedly wondered to myself, "What in the heck is a superbay"??

Turns out it's some HUGE super-hangar at SFO!!!

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, UAL has a maintenance operations center there, I got to tour the monstrous maintenance facilities a few years ago--pretty impressive.

Back