Desparate for help - confused about application process

serge430

Hi guys -

I've been lurking around this forum for quite some time, getting some good advice on how this whole ATC selection process works, and what to expect if I actually am offered a position.

No one, however, seems to be in the same boat as I am, so I was wondering if someone could help shed some light on it.

My "time line" is as follows -

Applied for the "Pubnat 1" opening which closed 2/15/08
Was approved to take the AT-SAT test and took it on 3/15/08
I scored an 84 on the test
I get a geographical preference email on 5/2/08
The FAA says I need to apply for a new "Pubnat 2" opening closed on 5/2
I am placed on a referral list for my Pubnal 1 application on 6/6
I receive another geographical preference email for my Pubnat 2 on 8/11

Sorry if I sound like an idiot, but I guess this means I was considered for the first application, but turned down, so they want to consider me for the second one?

Can anyone give me any advice on how to better my chances this time around? Should I change my Geo prefs? I chose Virginia and Maryland, simply because that's where I live, but wrote in the comments I would relocate and work anywhere. Or is it my AT-SAT score, is that too low?

I'm just very confused and do not want to keep getting my hopes up every time I get an email from the FAA, only to find out I'm not really qualified at all for this job.

Thanks in advance for any help
Mike

Being considered (i.e., making the nationwide referral list) for a PUBNAT announcement is pretty much automatic, based on passing the AT-SAT (qualified or well-qualified, it doesn't matter). Being selected (i.e., some manager selecting you for their facility off that referral list during a panel meeting) is based on some criteria that is not 100% known. Some may say it's based on scoring well-qualified, who you know, etc... but as someone has mentioned the FAA does not release that type of info.

The best thing you can do is keep applying, if a year has passed since you have taken your AT-SAT and you still have not been selected, you may want to consider re-taking the AT-SAT to get that well-qualified status (it can only help you)

I was driving on Canal Street yesterday and saw all those jets making their river visual approach into DCA, I was more interesting in looking up at the sky as opposed to the road in front of me. If you want to stay in the DC area, then don't change your geo preferences, go where you'll be happy.

Thanks for the input GQ. I thought it might be more than just AT-SAT and Preferences and all that. I honestly don't have any kind of aviation background and did not finish college.

I applied for this thing on a whim because someone told me I'd be good at it. I've been an emergency dispatcher for quite some years and love the high-stress, unpredictable nature of the job, so I thought it would be somewhat similar to try ATC.

Now that I've studied up on it and done the testing and all that, I've found that it is something that I really really want, despite still not having much knowledge about it. I will hold out and keep applying and see what happens.

I obviously can't give you a reason as to why you weren't picked up, but I can tell you that I don't think we've seen any "qualified" applicants being hired from PUBNAT1. They start with the "well qualified" group and there must have been so many applicants that plenty of them were passed over too. So I'd suggest you consider taking the AT-SAT again (you have to wait until a year has passed since the first time you took it) and get into that "well qualified" group.

Hi guys -

I've been lurking around this forum for quite some time, getting some good advice on how this whole ATC selection process works, and what to expect if I actually am offered a position.

No one, however, seems to be in the same boat as I am, so I was wondering if someone could help shed some light on it.

Sorry if I sound like an idiot, but I guess this means I was considered for the first application, but turned down, so they want to consider me for the second one?

Can anyone give me any advice on how to better my chances this time around? Should I change my Geo prefs? I chose Virginia and Maryland, simply because that's where I live, but wrote in the comments I would relocate and work anywhere. Or is it my AT-SAT score, is that too low?

I'm just very confused and do not want to keep getting my hopes up every time I get an email from the FAA, only to find out I'm not really qualified at all for this job.

Mike

Safe bet, complete all of the applications that they post out there, and keep doing it till you get you FOL for one of them. I only applied once and luckily everything jived and i am just waiting on the FOL, but I found out after that most people are applying to every announcement until they land one. Hang in there, it will happen.

serge430,

I am from Washington, DC too, just as GQ. I am also at the academy right now, having arrived some three weeks ago. I will be heading to DCA in October. Just for your info, I went to Archbishop Carroll.

My advise to you is to continue applying to public annoucements. What you're hearing is right that the panel starts with the most qualified candidates and works down to qualified. The good thing is that you passed so good job! I don't know the timetable for panel selections, but hopefully, you will get a shot. Just keep applying if necessary.

I had no prior aviation experience either, but what a difference a few weeks make. I will finish the Basics class in two weeks and begin phase II the first week of September.

I applied in 07 for the state specific announcement for Virginia b/c I did not want to move if I could help it, but would have gone elsewhere if needed. In our area, we have a plethora of options, whether Terminal or En Route and other options.

Terminal: DCA, BWI, IAD, MNZ (Manassas)
Tracon: Potomac
En Route: ZDC
AFSS: Leesburg
ARTCCS: Herndon
HQ's: DC

That's how I interpreted this opportunity. Beyond, ATC, what other opportunities would I have with the FAA without having to uproot my family. I've lived here my whole life and love the area. This of course doesn't mean these options aren't available to all, but just the number of facilities in the DC area are appealling. Hang in there and continue to apply to all new public announcements as they come out. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.

BTW, just to give you some indication of how the process worked for me. I applied in June 2007. I rec'd info from Robinson Aviation in late Feb. 2008 to take the ATSAT. Took the ATSAT in March. Attended Chicago PEPC in May. Arrived at OKC late July. I hear, hopefully, that the process is a bit faster, but you would have to ask others on this forum.

Hi guys -

Mike

Back