Descent in Class C

Sidious

Ok, so I did a VFR cross country flight yesterday into a Class C airport that we frequent pretty regularly. Anyway I was on with approach and they told me which runway to expect.

As we get closer he tells us again what to expect and to maintain 1500 until advised.

We are now on the extended centerline of the runway and getting closer and I haven't heard anything like "Descend VFR at your discretion" or anything like that.

We get to 1/2 mile from the runway before he switches us to tower (it was busy) and then we couldn’t get a word in to tower for probably 15 seconds.

They address us and clear us to land which we did but it was a VERY steep approach with some healthy slip in there as well.

My question is: Should we just have asked for a descent or were we expected to descend when we were so close?

Was this just an ATC mistake and should I have ask? The place was pretty busy so perhaps they just overlooked us until we were very close.

If anything looks weird I would ask them about it. Sounds like approach should have handed you off sooner. And no, you should not descend on your own after ATC tells you to maintain 1500'.

Also don't be afraid to say "unable" if ATC puts you in a weird situation. You're under no obligation to fix their mistakes.

Sounds like someone forgot about where they left you.

Happens. Just query them about it.

Yeah, it was a pretty busy and the handoff seemed late.

How about this...

Different Class C airport, VFR cross country. Told to maintain 1500 by approach. Handed off to Tower and they say enter right downwind to Runway 9. TPA is 1000 ft. Descend to 1000 or stay at 1500?

For this one I ask and they seemed quite annoyed. They said and I quote "When I tell you to enter the pattern you do whatever you have to to get to TPA."

Seems a little ambiguous.

Thoughts?

Different Class C airport, VFR cross country. Told to maintain 1500 by approach. Handed off to Tower and they say enter right downwind to Runway 9. TPA is 1000 ft. Descend to 1000 or stay at 1500?

For this one I ask and they seemed quite annoyed. They said and I quote "When I tell you to enter the pattern you do whatever you have to to get to TPA."

Thoughts?

That's the answer you got? You did ask something similar to "Altitude restrictions cancelled?"

Thoughts?

Descend to 1000. You've been given a clearance to enter the traffic pattern, which includes descending to the TPA if necessary.

When I was based in SJU (miss that place already :(), we flew VFR in their Class C everyday. Any descents you wanted to make, you simply said "XXXX, VFR descent." If they had an issue they'd say something. More often than not you'd hear "roger" as a response. Now if they do give you an altitude restriction, you are obligated to abide by it. But if they don't, just let them know if you need to descend and you won't have a problem.

Yeah, it was a pretty busy and the handoff seemed late.

How about this...

Thoughts?

Same query applies.

If you're unsure, ask tower to confirm you're OK to descend to TPA.

I am not 100% sure there's a clear cut answer on this question. What is someone was overflying mid-field at TPA hence the purpose you were left at 1500'.

Remember, assumptions are a dangerous thing.

Descend to 1000. You've been given a clearance to enter the traffic pattern, which includes descending to the TPA if necessary.

You're assuming that the tower doesn't have a reason they assigned you 1500' which you obviously don't know unless they explicitly tell you you're cleared to descend to the TPA.

Probably should have asked when you got shipped to tower, "NXXX over to tower, verify descents approved?"

You were restricted for some reason, and odds are if it was that bust they just forgot you were capped at 1500.

Back